Jeffrey P

This all started over a year ago. I was selected as Member of the Month and a couple of TFF members from Texas invited me down to the big state to collect. I primarily collect in my home region, the northeast, but I've taken fossil forays to New Mexico, Kentucky, and Germany and was willing to consider a trip to Texas and the opportunity to visit some classic fossil sites and collect fossils that are outside my usual focus. I began planning this about ten months ago, contacted potential fossil collecting partners and did my own research on fossil sites, geology, and the types of fossils I would likely encounter. I had never been to Texas let alone fossil collected there. From the Forum I knew there was a lot of great hunting. Then there was all of the logistics, what to stay, what to bring. Since I wanted to bring back a lot driving appeared to be my best option, but I hadn't driven that far solo in over thirty years. Timing of my trip; mid-late September, came right after my daughter went away to college and I was in the middle of moving to a new place. So things couldn't have been more hectic. Finally, early in the morning on September 8th I set out. Things went okay until I was in Kentucky. Just as it was turning nightfall, torrential rain hit, traffic was stopped on the interstate for two and a half hours, and the last two hours of the trip I struggled with wet conditions and poor visibility. I finally arrived at my parents' house just after one in the morning. 

The next day on my way over to my sister's I took a small detour and stopped at an outcrop I was well familiar with in Leitchfield, the Upper Mississippian Glen Dean Formation. 

IMG_3297.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

I found the usual crinoid and bryozoan specimens that are prolific at the site.  Found my best rugose corals from that site and a crinoid calyx base attached to a stem.. 

IMG_3299.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The next day fortunately was uneventful. I arrived in Atoka, Oklahoma by early evening. The following morning I was up just after six driving unfamiliar rural roads in the dark, finally arriving at the Clarita post office where I met  Leon Theisen. As the sun rose I followed him down more rural roads, then through a gate. We then drove through fields up to his quarry. This was becoming an exciting adventure. Leon's private quarry is in the Lower Devonian Bois D'Arc Formation. We primarily surface collected. A tarantula came through our dig site. Leon warned me about rattlesnakes and wild feral pigs. Leon told me he saw a big one right by my car when we were at the gate, but I didn't see it in the darkness. Never saw a rattlesnake, not there or anywhere else on the trip. At one point later in the afternoon we even went searching for one, but no luck. 

IMG_3311.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

The first rock I picked up had a conularid in it. Leon told me it was very rare for the site and offered to trade me for it. Probably the most popular attraction at Leon's quarry is the trilobites. I found over a dozen complete ones: All are likely Paciphacops campbelli and Kainops raymondi. 

IMG_3615.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

The visit here was more than worthwhile. Leon was a friendly, informative, entertaining, and gracious host. At the end of the day I agreed to trade my conularid for a pair of his Huntonia trilobites. Here's one of them: 

IMG_3602.JPG

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 1

The next day I was headed for Jacksboro, Texas, but along the way I couldn't resist stopping at the Permian site at Waurika. I had never collected any Permian Age fossils before and saw this as a wonderful opportunity. 

IMG_3318.JPG

The fossils were tiny and I was often on my hands and knees. Fortunately I had just bought some new knee pads: 

IMG_3320.JPG

I found about a dozen reptile/amphibian teeth. Here are some. Haven't ID'd them yet. I believe at least some are from the amphibian Archeria: 

IMG_3530.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Also found a large number of teeth from the freshwater shark, Orthocanthus and an unidentified split vertebra as well has an assortment of bone fragments, etc. . I brought back a pail full of matrix material: 

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

Later that afternoon, I finally arrived at Jacksboro, Texas. I camped at Fort Richardson State Park and TFF member, BobWill joined me for the evening. Bob and I hit the site first thing in the morning. Jacksboro has been on my wish list for a long time. The nearest marine Pennsylvanian sites to my home are way out in western Pennsylvania, more than a day's drive away and those are nothing like Jacksboro. We walked across the dam for Lost Creek Reservoir and then on to the fossil site: 

IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_3328.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Congrats on a great collecting trip! :fistbump:

Campbell 1977 established Huntonia but it was already preoccupied by a modern isopod:

Huntonia Vandel 1973 Family: Philosciidae. Type species: Huntonia montana Vandel 1973

Huntoniatonia replaced it in:

Jell, P.A., & Adrain, J.M. 2003

Available Generic Names for Trilobites.

Queensland Museum Memoirs, 48(2):331-553  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Bob was a wonderful companion and collecting partner. He was extremely knowledgeable about the site which he says is his favorite. It is in the Finis Shale: : 

IMG_3325.JPG

Gastropods were one of my primary targets. they were both plentiful and well preserved. Also found a number of nautiloids. 

IMG_3457.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

Great report, great finds, great photos and I love the Oklahoma Brown Tarantula. :wub: 

thanks for for sharing all the best Bobby 

• I found this Informative 1

A surprise was finding four complete (though battered) goniatites. Pieces were plentiful, but I never expected to find a complete one let alone four: 

IMG_3434.JPG

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 1

Conularids are rare in my neck of the woods. One day in Jacksboro more than doubled my collection. Here are two: 

IMG_3443.JPG