Jeffrey P

One thing I didn't expect to find was a shark tooth, but lo and behold, there was Petalodus, a bit beat up, just lying there: 

IMG_3589.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

My last morning in Brownwood, I visited the first site again. My best find was a complete crinoid cup, Ethelocrinus tuberculatus: 

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3509.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

3 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

I spent two nights camped at Lake Brownwood State Park.

IMG_3377.JPG

Hopefully you had a nice breakfast...  mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo59.gif&t=1539044062&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1caf-450003011b00&sig=lPvp_Qhu0CwAUpLh5mjw1A--~C I agree ...epic trip!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

My last stop in Texas was in Waco. I camped two more nights at Lake Waco. I visited the Cretaceous one more time via the Waco Pit on Army Corps of Engineers land: 

IMG_3393.JPG

The fossils were so tiny at first I overlooked them, but when I started spotting them I noticed they were everywhere. Here are two examples of ammonites preserved in pyrite: 

IMG_3426.JPG

The very last collecting locality I visited in Texas was Whiskey Bridge, an Eocene site. Everyone I spoke to knew of it, but no one had actually been there. Too recent they would all say. It is the Eocene Crocket Formation. Here is the site with a railroad and highway bridge in the background.

IMG_3395.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

The only tools I needed were a screw driver and a bag. I plucked chunks of clay from the embankment and fossil shells just popped out. Here is a sample:  

IMG_3513.JPG

I take it you're not quite done yet, but great report! Oh to cross the continent and hit all the great collecting sites.... you get a nice sampling of everything. I'm sure we all dream of such trips but not all of us have the means, but for me it would be Utah, Oklahoma (if I could get in to those private sites) and Texas, and anything else I could squeeze in along the way. That would be enough if I couldn't also go to Midwest/Ontario/NY/East Coast. I'm sure it would be exhausting..

Epilogue:  So I'm back from my big trip. It was a lot to do- 18 sites, 17 states, busy, a lot going on. Found some great stuff. Met some wonderful people. Would I go back there? Sure in heartbeat. There's always NSR

P.S.- On the way home I couldn't resist stopping in Chatworth, Georgia: Consauga Formation, Upper Cambrian: 

IMG_3517.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

4 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

A surprise was finding four complete (though battered) goniatites. Pieces were plentiful, but I never expected to find a complete one let alone four: 

IMG_3434.JPG

Gonioloboceras goniolobum on the right.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

27 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

And another shark tooth I'm still trying to identify: 

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

Symmorium

Grüße,

22 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

The fossils were so tiny at first I overlooked them, but when I started spotting them I noticed they were everywhere. Here are two examples of ammonites preserved in pyrite: 

IMG_3426.JPG

Mantelliceras left, Mariella right

Grüße,

9 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Epilogue:  So I'm back from my big trip. It was a lot to do- 18 sites, 17 states, busy, a lot going on. Found some great stuff. Met some wonderful people. Would I go back there? Sure in heartbeat. There's always NSR

P.S.- On the way home I couldn't resist stopping in Chatworth, Georgia: Consauga Formation, Upper Cambrian: 

IMG_3517.JPG

NSR...better bring a 50 foot flood ahead of you and be first when it drops!  This is the most popular public site between the Peace River and Kemmerer, bringing not only locals, but enthusiasts from all corners of the globe.

Grüße,

Wow Jeffrey!

Awesome report.  :drool:  :envy:  :wub:

Glad you had a good time, and made so many awesome finds!

Congratulations on a truly epic trip! 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Nice finds!!! I could of took you to a lake where you could of found some Ammonites weighing 30 pounds...

4BEB4257-A847-4B9F-BC9C-C1C5988054D8.jpeg

Great report with good photography.

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

9 hours ago, Wolf89 said:

Once I get my driver's license (2 years away :( ) I will have to do an awesome road trip collecting fossils all the way from North Carolina, through Texas, and ending up in Utah and Wyoming

You would need a truck drivers licence, wouldn´t you ;)?
Franz Bernhard