Jeffrey P

A wonderful whiplash tour, Jeffrey. :) You managed to get a little of everything on this 17-state sampler circuit! High kudos on this trip report and some eye-popping finds. :fistbump:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just when I thougbt you were done.........even a sharktooth................:envy:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

20 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

...the Britton Formation...

:envy:...

...heckuva trip, Jeffrey!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

On 10/8/2018 at 2:35 PM, Jeffrey P said:

The next day fortunately was uneventful. I arrived in Atoka, Oklahoma by early evening. The following morning I was up just after six driving unfamiliar rural roads in the dark, finally arriving at the Clarita post office where I met  Leon Theisen. As the sun rose I followed him down more rural roads, then through a gate. We then drove through fields up to his quarry. This was becoming an exciting adventure. Leon's private quarry is in the Lower Devonian Bois D'Arc Formation. We primarily surface collected. A tarantula came through our dig site. Leon warned me about rattlesnakes and wild feral pigs. Leon told me he saw a big one right by my car when we were at the gate, but I didn't see it in the darkness. Never saw a rattlesnake, not there or anywhere else on the trip. At one point later in the afternoon we even went searching for one, but no luck. 

IMG_3300.JPG

I hope you dropped the biggest rock you could find on that! hahahaha Just Kidding!

5 minutes ago, Steve D. said:

I hope you dropped the biggest rock you could find on that! hahahaha

Why would you want to kill an animal that is just minding its own business and not threatening anyone?

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, FossilDAWG said:

Why would you want to kill an animal that is just minding its own business and not threatening anyone?

Don

Take a joke Don. Those guys are the good guys

18 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

The very last collecting locality I visited in Texas was Whiskey Bridge, an Eocene site. Everyone I spoke to knew of it, but no one had actually been there. Too recent they would all say. It is the Eocene Crocket Formation. Here is the site with a railroad and highway bridge in the background.

IMG_3395.JPG

Been their a couple of times and we found several Gastropoda ‘s but really nothing to wow us!! Rumors have it that some people have found mamouth teeth in the river banks. But I’ve only found horse and cow teeth,

2 hours ago, PFOOLEY said:

:envy:...

...heckuva trip, Jeffrey!

Re: Britton Formation... All you gotta do is make the "short" drive to Dallas and I'll take you to some Britton spots. :D

On 10/8/2018 at 3:24 PM, Jeffrey P said:

I found about a dozen reptile/amphibian teeth. Here are some. Haven't ID'd them yet. I believe at least some are from the amphibian Archeria: 

IMG_3530.JPG

I'm thinking most of these are broken xenacanth crowns. Found very similar stuff at Waurika.

• I found this Informative 1

Wow, wow WOW!!!!!!!!!!  What an amazing fossil-hunting tour!!!!!  I love all of what you've found, but I think my favourite is the Inoceramus - what a beauty! :wub:

In my haste to complete the report I left out one photograph. This is Tully (Thair) who took me around to four great Pennsylvanian Age marine sites in the Brownwood area all in one great and memorable day. Tully was a fine companion, very experienced and knowledgeable. No. That's not my hat he's wearing.  

IMG_3372.JPG

Very nice trip report and some beautiful scenery. 

Oh yeah, thems some good finds to go along with the rest.

Thanks for taking Us along.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I guess this guy makes a pretty good huntin'-buddy, never gave me any trouble the whole time and he brought me a big bag of nice fossils from his sites back east. The wife doesn't like me going out alone at my advanced age so I was glad to have Jeff for an excuse to get out. He has a good eye for the little stuff but he's also able to haul out the big ammonites.

Jeff it was good to have an excuse to miss work one day to hunt. Glad you found some good stuff for you collection. Remind me next time to suck in my gut for the picture.

Amazing! That's definitely a trip of a lifetime, congratulations!!!

By the way, those Waconella waconensis really remind me of the Oleneothyris we found (but hopefully, you had an easier trip to get them!).

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

@Jeffrey P, that's a great report on a great trip. glad I was able to participate in a day of it.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, thair said:

Jeff it was good to have an excuse to miss work one day to hunt. Glad you found some good stuff for you collection. Remind me next time to suck in my gut for the picture.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:48 AM, BobWill said:

I guess this guy makes a pretty good huntin'-buddy, never gave me any trouble the whole time and he brought me a big bag of nice fossils from his sites back east. The wife doesn't like me going out alone at my advanced age so I was glad to have Jeff for an excuse to get out. He has a good eye for the little stuff but he's also able to haul out the big ammonites.

I wanted to thank all three of you again for all of the help, companionship, and entertainment you provided. I had a great time and was largely successful due to all of you. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Overall, well done, Jeff.  First experiences at new-to-you venues are among the most memorable.

Though we didn't have the opportunity to collect together, the help and support you provided was invaluable. Thanks again. Hopefully we'll get another chance to collect together. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, jpc said:

Ooohh... can't wait to see more.  Organizing trips like this is one of the best benefits of TFF.  

I agree. TFF certainly made this trip the magnificent adventure that it was. Thanks TFF. Look out! I'm planning a trip to the Rocky Mountain states next year. 

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, JimB88 said:

Wow! Awesome trip Jeff. The next time your in TN we should hook up for some Ordovician and Mississippian goodies!

That's a possibility since I have family in Kentucky and I travel there every year or so. Would love to meet you and collect together.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, frankh8147 said:

Amazing! That's definitely a trip of a lifetime, congratulations!!!

By the way, those Waconella waconensis really remind me of the Oleneothyris we found (but hopefully, you had an easier trip to get them!).

Thanks Frank. All of those Waconella were collected from a drainage ditch in the span of several minutes. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:50 PM, ynot said:

Very nice trip report and some beautiful scenery. 

Oh yeah, thems some good finds to go along with the rest.

Thanks for taking Us along.

Thanks Tony. Hope to make it out to California and Nevada one of these days