Jeffrey P

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, Fallingfossils said:

Jeff what a trip!  

Just awesome!

Thanks Kevin. I am homesick for Maryland. Hopefully we can get together sometime in the not too distant future and do some collecting again. 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:32 AM, Monica said:

Wow, wow WOW!!!!!!!!!!  What an amazing fossil-hunting tour!!!!!  I love all of what you've found, but I think my favourite is the Inoceramus - what a beauty! :wub:

Glad you enjoyed the tour Monica. Hopefully someday you'll get to visit some of these places too. In the meantime New York is just over the border. I'd love to return to Ontario. Maybe next year. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, Carl said:

I'm thinking most of these are broken xenacanth crowns. Found very similar stuff at Waurika.

Thanks Carl. Your description of Waurika helped inspire me to go there. Do you know anybody who could help me ID the Waurika material?

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, Twinlukers said:

Been their a couple of times and we found several Gastropoda ‘s but really nothing to wow us!! Rumors have it that some people have found mamouth teeth in the river banks. But I’ve only found horse and cow teeth,

I was wowed by the gastropods. Would love to return there some day to look for rarer stuff. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, Paciphacops said:

Thanks for the detailed trip report!

:envy:

You're more than welcome. Experiencing it first hand was way better than writing about it, but writing about brought back some wonderful memories. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:39 PM, PFOOLEY said:

:envy:...

...heckuva trip, Jeffrey!

Thanks Mike. Look out! I may be headed back your way next year. My time with you collecting in the Puerco was definitely a highlight of my fossil collecting career. 

• I found this Informative 1

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:05 AM, Darktooth said:

Just when I thougbt you were done.........even a sharktooth................:envy:

Actually a bunch of shark teeth- Permian and Pennsylvanian. Definitely helped diversify the collection. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:18 AM, Kane said:

A wonderful whiplash tour, Jeffrey. :) You managed to get a little of everything on this 17-state sampler circuit! High kudos on this trip report and some eye-popping finds. :fistbump:

Thanks Kane. You would have disappointed. Very little actual rock splitting was involved. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, piranha said:

Hopefully you had a nice breakfast...  mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo59.gif&t=1539044062&ymreqid=2b37d289-e028-403a-1caf-450003011b00&sig=lPvp_Qhu0CwAUpLh5mjw1A--~C I agree ...epic trip!

Thanks. Breakfast was usually instant oatmeal, raisons, and coffee and occasionally McDonalds. Not exactly a foodie adventure. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:38 PM, Wrangellian said:

I take it you're not quite done yet, but great report! Oh to cross the continent and hit all the great collecting sites.... you get a nice sampling of everything. I'm sure we all dream of such trips but not all of us have the means, but for me it would be Utah, Oklahoma (if I could get in to those private sites) and Texas, and anything else I could squeeze in along the way. That would be enough if I couldn't also go to Midwest/Ontario/NY/East Coast. I'm sure it would be exhausting..

Thanks. Hopefully some day you will get to explore some of these places. The way I did it was relatively cheap. 

41 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks Carl. Your description of Waurika helped inspire me to go there. Do you know anybody who could help me ID the Waurika material?

Jeff, 

I don't know if you've seen this site

It does have a lot of pictures of the fossils that can be found there.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Jeff, 

I don't know if you've seen this site

It does have a lot of pictures of the fossils that can be found there.

Yes. I've looked at that site. IDing these teeth will be a big challenge. 

What a nice trip. I've got only one material from the Glen Dean formation that I have bought from a rock shop, and it was nice to see what the formation looks like.

I really liked the Paleozoic marine fossils.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks. Hopefully some day you will get to explore some of these places. The way I did it was relatively cheap. 

Yeah, I'm thinking the best way to go would be a car with good fuel economy... gas is generally cheaper in the the US than it is up here (though it's always getting more expensive), plus I could stop any time I want and visit any spot I want (unlike a plane).

14 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

So glad I nudged you towards this awesome site! Incredible, isn't it? Sadly, there is little to guide one to IDs of fossils from this rich, incredible, and long-known site. There is one book dealing with the fossils of Waurika but I hear it is very unreliable. It was actually put out by the folks that made the Website that Tim posted. You can try @dinodigger, who is a seriously busy but generous guy - he works with folks who could probably help.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, Heteromorph said:

Great topic! Can’t wait to see the rest. Texas Cretaceous is right up my alley, but so is all of Texas geology.

Jacksboro is really a special place. I have only been there once so far (back in May), but came away with tons of gastropods, crinoid segments and stem pieces, bryozoa, nautiloid and ammonoid pieces, including some tiny and exquisitely detailed pyritized goniatites. No compete large goniatites though. Hope to go back soon. Bob is good people and is the best to show you around the site, as he was when I went with him there. 

Again, great trip report!

Thanks. Jacksboro was definitely a highlight for me and Bob was great accompaniment there.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, Ludwigia said:

Great report, Jeffrey! Keep up the good work! :popcorn:

Thanks Roger. Texas was truly wonderful, but I often think about my trip to Germany last year with great longing. Thanks again for making that trip a success. I hope to return someday.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Thanks Roger. Texas was truly wonderful, but I often think about my trip to Germany last year with great longing. Thanks again for making that trip a success. I hope to return someday.

That sure would be nice :)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Wow Jeffrey!  Great report and wonderful fossil.  I wish I can find a large ammonite.  I haven't found any complete ammonite yet so I hope to find one in Texas this christmas.

16 hours ago, thair said:

Jeff these are some pictures of the crinoid I found the day we were hunting together.

Fossil10-18-18a.jpg

Fossil10-18-18b.jpg

Fossil10-18-18c.jpg

Fossil10-18-18d.jpg

Tully, Wow! That turned out to be the find of the day. Great job spotting, collecting, and reassembling that awesome crinoid. Big congratulations.

16 hours ago, thair said:

Jeff these are some pictures of the crinoid I found the day we were hunting together.

Fossil10-18-18a.jpg

Fossil10-18-18b.jpg

Fossil10-18-18c.jpg

Fossil10-18-18d.jpg

What an INCREDIBLE job! Didn't even think that kind of thing was possible!

• 1 month later...

I've had a chance to work on some of the specimens I collected on this trip. These Upper Pennsylvanian nautiloid shells (Pseudorthoceras knoxense) from the Brownwood area of Texas were reassembled and glued. This wasn't as easy as it sounds since some of the ends had worn and didn't fit precisely. A special thanks to Tully (Thair) for showing me the site where these were collected. Also, this Lower Cretaceous Mortoniceras ammonite I had a chance to work on the inner whorl with a power dremmel  thanks to Tim, (Fossildude19). It's not done yet, but I'm glad I was able to expose more of it. Thanks to Uncle Siphuncle for sharing with me the site where this was collected. 

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

• I found this Informative 4