Jeffrey P

That an amazing trip! I’ve told my self I’m going to do something like this for the last 8 years....I hope I can make an epic trip like this some day!

I see a red line moving across a map of Oklahoma and Texas, with planes and boats and trucks moving in the background.  The only thing missing was John Williams' music.  A journey Indiana Jones would be proud of!!!  Very nice report!

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Love those orthocones... I gather they are not common in that degree of completeness.

I would say that at the one site near Brownwood where I found them they're not uncommon. Tully (Thair) showed me that the pieces can be put back together, otherwise I might have overlooked them. Practically none of any size are found complete. Reassembled, they are the most complete orthocones I have outside of the matrix.

10 hours ago, dre464 said:

I see a red line moving across a map of Oklahoma and Texas, with planes and boats and trucks moving in the background.  The only thing missing was John Williams' music.  A journey Indiana Jones would be proud of!!!  Very nice report!

I would say it was a big privilege to be able to make this journey and sample the fossil faunas of these areas. It did have the exciting feel of adventure on a number of occasions.

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

That an amazing trip! I’ve told my self I’m going to do something like this for the last 8 years....I hope I can make an epic trip like this some day!

I hope you can do such a trip some day. A lot of research and effort went into this one. Anything is possible if one desires it enough.

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

I would say that at the one site near Brownwood where I found them they're not uncommon. Tully (Thair) showed me that the pieces can be put back together, otherwise I might have overlooked them. Practically none of any size are found complete. Reassembled, they are the most complete orthocones I have outside of the matrix.

Not sure I understand this statement - You find them broken but the pieces are all in one place, right? so you know they are pieces of one individual? If the pieces were strewn all around I could see why you woudn't think to put them back together, as you might never find all the pieces or they'd be mixed up with pieces from other broken individuals.

Prior to this trip all of the orthocones I had collected were in rock. I wasn't used to finding them loose. Tully (Thair) only had to show me once how the pieces you find in one spot might fit together.  After that any time I found a piece of orthocone I would search the area to see if there was more of it present and sometimes there was. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a photo of the other Huntonia trilobite I traded for from Leon for the rare conularid I found. It was already partially prepped and Ptychodus04 finished it. 

IMG_3784.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

On 10/9/2018 at 2:57 PM, Carl said:

I'm thinking most of these are broken xenacanth crowns. Found very similar stuff at Waurika.

Agreed. One or two might be Ophiacodon. None are Archeria.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I just got back a pair of Paciphacops campbelli that Kris (Ptychodus04) finished preparing for me. Both of these I found at Theisen's Quarry, Clarita, Oklahoma. They are from the Lower Devonian Bois D'arc Formation, Cravatt Member, Helderberg Group. 

IMG_7102.JPG

• Enjoyed 2