Amber insect photographs

Aurelius

I've recently set-up a little studio in my dining room to make the photography of amber inclusions a little easier. These are the first results. I was going to wait a while and build up a few more to post at the same time, but I've had a crappy day and I'm keen to do anything to distract myself from it. 

These pictures are both panoramic, each made up of about seven images, I think. Each of those seven images is a stack of photos taken at different distances from the amber at 5x magnification on a full-frame camera. Each stack contains around 100 photos, so we're talking around 700 photos total per image. All of the amber is Baltic.

The first piece of amber captures quite a poignant moment from 44 million years ago.

1_final_stitch2_flat.thumb.jpg.83b3ac94cb8a3d469dc4cf57f5ddf92e.jpg

Close-up of same image:

1_final_stitch2_flat-2.thumb.jpg.55e6c655fd5dbbc96ebaeddbba74f630.jpg

Close-up of the head, from a different photo (taken at 10x magnification). This isn't such a great photo, but it does show some great details. 

5bbb9e2129d97_Slab1PMax-comp_flat.jpg.74c81156660d8c1fa352128c97d121b0.jpg

And the second piece of amber is this fly. I can't remember what type of fly it is, but it's very big.

joined1_flat.thumb.jpg.2c49fa942da72473f84e3ef7f6a39463.jpg

And a close-up.

joined1_flat-2.thumb.jpg.e236042085bd369f4b0e9cb4e132104d.jpg

First off WOW! The detail is amazing. Secondly, what camera are you using and are you photostacking?

...I'm back.

Beautiful photos.  They even made me feel sorry for the ant!  

I would probably frame these if they were mine.... the detail is incredible. :envy:

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Breathtaking!
I am in awe of your results!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

20 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

First off WOW! The detail is amazing. Secondly, what camera are you using and are you photostacking?

I use a Nikon D800 and cheap 70-300mm lens , with a Nikon 5x infinity corrected microscope objective mounted on the end. I stack using a Stackshot and Zerene Stacker.

16 minutes ago, Walt said:

Beautiful photos.  They even made me feel sorry for the ant!  

I would probably frame these if they were mine.... the detail is incredible. :envy:

Thank you - I do have several different amber pictures on the wall :)

Wonderful images, displaying technical mastery, but also aesthetically pleasing.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Paul, I am familiar with the techniques, setup and software.  You have achieved a high level of exquisite results!  Well done, sir.  

bowing.gif

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Aurelius,

It has been my prerogative, when left breathless by a fossil or assemblage posted on the Forum, to bestow the rather crudely named "Golden Drool Bucket", in recognition of the extraordinary nature of the subject.

These amber images made me get it out of the closet and dust it off :)

Golden Drool Bucket.jpg

Thank you for posting these; Well Done!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

beautiful pictures.:yay-smiley-1:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Magnificent!!! Amazing specimens and brilliantly rendered photos. Much thanks. 

Drool inducing indeed! Amber is so hard to photograph, and you’ve done it exquisitely!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Congratulations on bringing the beauty of those tiny amber treasures to light.

It is us who really need that bucket to drool into--hope you'll pass it around. ;):drool:

Cheers.

-Ken

16 hours ago, Auspex said:

Aurelius,

It has been my prerogative, when left breathless by a fossil or assemblage posted on the Forum, to bestow the rather crudely named "Golden Drool Bucket", in recognition of the extraordinary nature of the subject.

These amber images made me get it out of the closet and dust it off :)

Golden Drool Bucket.jpg

Thank you for posting these; Well Done!

Thank you very much, and thanks to everyone else for your kind comments also. These images take a lot time to create and it's great to have some positive feedback on them. At times I do feel like a bit of a useless amateur, so it's good to know that I'm doing something right. Maybe one day I'll have a sufficient amount to put into a book.

Well deserved award. 

I quite understand as I am covered in drool looking at these photographs. :drool:

Simply stunning specimens and photographs. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Archived