Help ID this fossil. No idea. It was a doorstop.

Dinodeava

I found this fossil as a doorstop at a retirement home in Centennial Colorado.  Could not believe it was a doorstop.  The former owner had moved into the Alzheimer's unit and left it behind.  No background on it AT ALL.  Sorry about that.  

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5965.JPG

Welcome to the Forum! :)
It looks like a concretion or nodule, to me. Please wait other opinions.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Since concretions can nucleate on decaying organic material, I enhanced the image to look for signs of such:

~~.jpg

Nothing definitive, that I can see. The bits to the right that resemble fingernail clippings are unusual, though.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

has an arthropodish look to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I see what Auspex is looking at, to the right - look like bivalves (clams) which means the concretion is from a fossiliferous environment, but I have no idea what the big black thing is!

Boy that is awesome looking. Any chance of getting some sharp real clear closeups for more clues? Would love to see those areas with the crescent shapes and irregular shaped segments as well as the center. thanks!

5bbbf8816b6b1_unknownconcretion.jpg.2732b8cd0962e02ef5ee3dc90f98bbed.jpg

Regards, Chris 

I will get some close pics with a metric ruler tomorrow. The black and grey both react with 6M HCl. I really appreciate all of the feedback thus far. I am a secondary science teacher with an ancient degree in Geology, and this has piqued my interest, for sure. The detail on it is really interesting. If it is a concretion, Is there any way way to extract it from the rock? I have been meticulously chipping away, but perhaps I should just leave it as is. 

13 hours ago, Herb said:

has an arthropodish look to me

That was my fist impression, too.

Could be some kind of Eurypterid.....

But as already said, more close-up fotos are needed...

lots of Mazon Creek fossils look like that picture

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, we got some more pics... Any additional thoughts??

5beba34414339_rockmatrixresized.thumb.jpg.064752bd2cf75f2e3a793e36260d6fe5.jpg5beba34c86364_rock1resized.thumb.jpg.dfeab6fe5630d4bf6ffa6f133548bfbd.jpg5beba3542dd92_rock3resized.thumb.jpg.ece5e5c96f75a86ede0be4ce73735f2f.jpg5beba35dbfc2c_rock4resized.thumb.jpg.4211a30763985479349a9b00d353c5f8.jpg5beba37bd7993_rock5resized.thumb.jpg.ff248b9a28bbcb7f667eef9627ff7fc8.jpg

I dont see anything more that's telling me its a fossil but I suppose since something could be hidden under that darker coating I'm not completely sure something organic couldnt have caused the original concretionary form. Still very cool! I like Tony's manganese Ideas...its interesting to hear it does fizz.. @ynot

I wouldnt do anything more to it unless you have a means to chop off some of the excess weight if its too heavy to lug around....carrying it around to show makes me chuckle...I've have a 40lb+ block from kentucky and can relate to hauling around needless weight and trying to put in the car trunk nearly thru the back out. But I still have the thing.  

Question was raised about anyone knowing of any Denver museums/rock clubs that would be of any help for a hands on confirmation? 

Regards, Chris  

Archived