My trip to Brownie's Beach

KimTexan

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

but the drain got plugged with seal bits so he had to leave the tub full of bloody water

I think someone owes that motel a new housekeeper or two. :)

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

On 10/9/2018 at 2:35 PM, Steve D. said:

I fly to Baltimore all the time (I'm actually here now) and I normally will take off an afternoon and head down to Calvert State Park.. I have yet to find a solid location to do some good digging or exploring. Appreciate your sharing the trip! 

Is Calvert State Park the only place you have hunted in the area?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I'm sorry to see that you got harassed while you where there, with so many people that go there, I honestly thought that you would have been left alone. Looks like you did great though, those are some real nice stingray barbs!

Rob :D

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

You do have some awful luck!

I stayed at a Motel 6 in Hamburg NY when I stopped by Penn Dixie last May. It was decently clean and comfortable.  I have had a couple of bad experiences at other cut-rate hotels but most are OK considering the cost.  Also I tend to arrive covered in mud and dirt from the field so I generally leave them dirtier than they were when I arrived, though I try to clean up as much as I can.

The worst incident I can recall hearing about concerned a friend of mine who collected skulls.  Many years ago he was staying at a motel in Half Moon Bay California and he found a dead seal on the beach.  He cut off the head and smuggled it up to his room and de-fleshed the skull in the bathtub.  When he was done he tried to clean up but the drain got plugged with seal bits so he had to leave the tub full of bloody water.  I'm told it looked like a murder scene.  I think he got himself permanently banned from that place.

Don

That is kind of a funny story.

Another fossil - motel related story someone on here told me after I told a funny story about gluing myself with cyanoacrylate. He said he glued half of a hotel room together with cyanoacrylate. I asked what he meant by half. I can’t remember the exact details, but it went something similar to he glued the bedspread to the nightstand and phone, the trash can to the carpet, the curtain to the wall and a chair or similar scenario.

I was trying to imagine how that could have possibly have happened. I thought a bit and then asked if he had been under the influence. He said he was drinking whisky while prepping a fossil. That explained everything.

4 hours ago, Walt said:

I think someone owes that motel a new housekeeper or two. :)

I have to admit at the second motel I stayed at I left the ice bucket with lots of sand and shell bits. I’ll have to get to that story later, but it was worse than the first in some respects. I also spilled some cyanoacrylate on a plastic tray. Oops. After the night I had I didn’t feel like I owed them. I felt like I should have gotten a refund.

52 minutes ago, RCW3D said:

I'm sorry to see that you got harassed while you where there, with so many people that go there, I honestly thought that you would have been left alone. Looks like you did great though, those are some real nice stingray barbs!

Is that what they are? I was looking at pics from my trip to the museum and they look a bit like pics I took of catfish dorsal fin spines too. Both look similar to me. My pics aren’t good enough to tell between them.

13 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Is that what they are? I was looking at pics from my trip to the museum and they look a bit like pics I took of catfish dorsal fin spines too. Both look similar to me. My pics aren’t good enough to tell between them.

Yes, they are stingray barbs...I'm actually surprised that you didn't find a cowshark tooth too, seems like everyone finds one at Brownie's!  

Rob :D

12 hours ago, RCW3D said:

Yes, they are stingray barbs...I'm actually surprised that you didn't find a cowshark tooth too, seems like everyone finds one at Brownie's!  

That would have been nice to find one. They are pretty cool looking. I went to the Dallas Paleontological Society monthly meeting. The talk was on shark teeth in Texas. Th speaker had a bunch of stuff on display. This jaw was one of the things he had.07779289-0F25-4AD5-9718-2AB241291486.thumb.jpeg.ce2efee3ba8ff0b9a75650ba6b2f60ea.jpeg

15 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Is Calvert State Park the only place you have hunted in the area?

Basically, I only get a day to hunt while on conference calls. I would love to explore more but I'm not super familiar with Maryland 

I see the creeper returned to brownies. There was some complaint about a guy a few yrs back that used to follow women around. Sad to say there’s people like that.

The bone material you posted is most likely cetacean/dugong. The circular disc is called a “cookie”.

Cool finds and sucks your trip kind of has a black eye due to the creeper but brownies is quite the nice place to hunt. Glad to see it was successful still. Thanks for sharing

On 10/11/2018 at 10:01 AM, Steve D. said:

Basically, I only get a day to hunt while on conference calls. I would love to explore more but I'm not super familiar with Maryland 

If you’re into shells Matoaka had tons of them in the banks. I’ll be posting my finds from there tomorrow. If you go take a knife or screwdriver to help dig stuff out of the avalanche material from the banks. There are shark teeth there too, but I didn’t find any. The lady I was with did, but they were mostly small.

8 hours ago, KimTexan said:

If you’re into shells Matoaka had tons of them in the banks. I’ll be posting my finds from there tomorrow. If you go take a knife or screwdriver to help dig stuff out of the bank. There are shark teeth there too, but I didn’t find any. The lady I was with did, but they were mostly small.

I haven't been to that beach yet. Possibly within the next two weeks. 

2 hours ago, Steve D. said:

I haven't been to that beach yet. Possibly within the next two weeks. 

I can’t be of help for finding teeth, but I know they can be found there, because the lady I hunted with had found what looked to be 40+ in a weeks time.

If you’re interested in shells see my post on Matoaka report. I’ll post my finds on there tonight probably. I posted a trip to the Calvert Marine Museum in the same post and you have to wade through all the pics there, but they are good for ID. I’ve ID’ d all my finds from the pics I took at the museum.

Wish I could go back to Matoaka again. The first trip was just trying to take it all in. It was a bit of a whirl wind tour of it.

19 hours ago, KimTexan said:

If you’re into shells Matoaka had tons of them in the banks. I’ll be posting my finds from there tomorrow. If you go take a knife or screwdriver to help dig stuff out of the bank. There are shark teeth there too, but I didn’t find any. The lady I was with did, but they were mostly small.

Sorry to hear about the creeper.  This is the guy who gives us all a bad name and causes women to live very differently than we men.  Differently in ways we can't even imagine until it all comes to light.  

Meanwhile we should all know that it is illegal to dig into the cliffs along Chesapeake Bay.  

50 minutes ago, jpc said:

Meanwhile we should all know that it is illegal to dig into the cliffs along Chesapeake Bay.  

I was going to mention this - thanks for the reminder, JPC.  :dinothumb:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, sunbleached said:

I enjoyed reading of your trip and seeing the great photos.

Thank you. That is my point to make it interesting to read and hopefully informative as well.

Archived