2018 Secret Santa Spectacular!!!

caldigger

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

20181108_203248.png

Oh look.. a baby picture of caldigger discovering his thumb.... 

13wbp5.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

The package is on its way :) The biggest challenge was to find a Christmas card at the store. I'm glad it's not TFF Valentine's gift exchange, because in such case I would have to draw a card myself ;)

If TFF did a Valentine's exchange, I have a feeling there would be a lot of those "heart" echinoids switching hands. ;)

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I've sent the package Tuesday.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, Monica said:

Even numbers are so much better than odd numbers!!!  I especially dislike large odd numbers (unless they contain a pattern, e.g., if they are a palindrome), and large prime numbers are the worst! :wacko:

(My students think this preference of mine is hilarious, and my colleagues often tell me about evaluations that they make up that are out of terrible numbers like 113 - yuck!!!)

Like that one : 99999989 ?

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, caldigger said:

The gift exchange isn't that straight forward where everyone is trading on the same level.

Some players only want to ship to US only, same with some European players. Then there are those that are going international. So there has to be different groups and they don't quite work out in fair numbers.

Believe me, it's not an easy thing to juggle!  I have pulled everyone's names and matched them to their perspective receivers. I just need some time to contact everyone. 

Is there more local shipping than international ?

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

If everyone would just send their packages to one person, me for example, that would make life so much easier. :)

Pfff !

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:55 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's have fun ! ! ! ! :)

I'm getting half the parcels! :yay-smiley-1:

And the other half is for me.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:51 AM, David in Japan said:

do we have to break all fossils in half and send it to you as part of the Adam tax?

I have enough taxes to pay like that !

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:58 PM, daves64 said:

What if we send caldigger? :muahaha:

Sure, he looks enough like his invertebrate avatar.

In memory of Doren

Sophie the "US only" was just slightly more than international then there were a few that wanted to keep it "Europe ( and surrounding countries) only".

So there are not an even number in any of the categories to do straight apples for oranges trades.

Each grouping was picked in lottery-style form ( small slips of paper with a name on it picked from a bowl).

However, looking at the finished list, I think everyone was paired up quite nicely and should be happy.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 hours ago, Kasia said:

The package is on its way :) The biggest challenge was to find a Christmas card at the store. I'm glad it's not TFF Valentine's gift exchange, because in such case I would have to draw a card myself ;)

I forgot to put a card in :(

2 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I forgot to put a card in :(

Oh the shame you must feel!!!  

The elves will be notified about this!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Like that one : 99999989 ?

:angry:

@caldigger - I think Sophie should be put on Santa's "bad" list for dredging up such a horrible number!!!

(just kidding, Sophie :P)

Well I just sent out my package, and now I know why some people choose to ship within their own country....

The 'Air' choice would have been more than $100 so I had to choose 'Surface' and that still cost more than twice the $30 amount that the contents were supposed to be worth (maybe I sent more than $30 worth, but I don't know), and the overseas Surface option goes by boat, so there will be a least one late delivery this year no doubt!

The size/weight of the box I sent might have had something to do with the cost, but I wanted to ensure the recipient felt like (s)he was getting something worthwhile. Next year if I take part, either it will be a much smaller box or I'll ask to keep it within North America.

• I found this Informative 2

On 11/8/2018 at 6:47 PM, Wrangellian said:

You're a riot Adam. It's between you and snolly for Forum Jester...

Oh, Adam wins out for sure...snolly doesn't have a funny hat.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

On 11/8/2018 at 1:12 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Secret Santa is a great fun opportunity to get to know members you may not have meet before now. 

But the fossils get to meet the members, not you. That is unless you’re shipping yourself in the Secret Santa package. My what a surprise that would be!

On 11/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, caldigger said:

Actually, I'm not sure Clementines are in season this time of year.

Would you settle for a nice Haas Avacado?

Oh Clementines are in the grocery store here. I’m not sure where they come from though.

On 11/5/2018 at 3:23 AM, Monica said:

Even numbers are so much better than odd numbers!!!  I especially dislike large odd numbers (unless they contain a pattern, e.g., if they are a palindrome), and large prime numbers are the worst! :wacko:

(My students think this preference of mine is hilarious, and my colleagues often tell me about evaluations that they make up that are out of terrible numbers like 113 - yuck!!!)

I am with you on that one. I am not fond of odd numbers and especially prime numbers.

2 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I am with you on that one. I am not fond of odd numbers and especially prime numbers.

Are you two synesthetes? I remember seeing something about these people and one of them said he liked or disliked certain numbers because of the sensations they associated with them which the rest of us do not - specifically 289 was cited as a particularly ugly number. Bizarre...

12 hours ago, Monica said:

:angry:

@caldigger - I think Sophie should be put on Santa's "bad" list for dredging up such a horrible number!!!

(just kidding, Sophie :P)

I even took the time to consult a list of prime Numbers and verify if it is divisable by two, three, five seven or Eleven. I didn't try bigger ones.

In memory of Doren

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, caldigger said:

The English marmalade is really bitter, much less sugar than its American counterpart and I loved it! 

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Just got a jar from a friend in a Christmas hamper yesterday! 

(the marmalade was in the hamper, not the friend)  

Yuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And English lemon jam ?

In memory of Doren

30 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

And English lemon jam ?

Lemon curd.

Bleuch! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Well I just sent out my package, and now I know why some people choose to ship within their own country....

The 'Air' choice would have been more than $100 so I had to choose 'Surface' and that still cost more than twice the $30 amount that the contents were supposed to be worth (maybe I sent more than $30 worth, but I don't know), and the overseas Surface option goes by boat, so there will be a least one late delivery this year no doubt!

The size/weight of the box I sent might have had something to do with the cost, but I wanted to ensure the recipient felt like (s)he was getting something worthwhile. Next year if I take part, either it will be a much smaller box or I'll ask to keep it within North America.

Wow, you send a very big package.  Sending international is very expesive. For mine, i try to stay below the 500g to keep the price affordable when i can.

This time, i send a 800g priority airmail box and it just cost me 1/3 of your. Is it the canadian postal service which is only for rich people or you just send a 10 kilo ammonite?:P

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Lemon curd.

Bleuch! 

For my friend @Bobby Ricotoo.

Culinary question: 

Is marmite still a thing? Love it or don't ?

Just now, David in Japan said:

For my friend @Bobby Ricotoo.

Culinary question: 

Is marmite still a thing? Love it or don't ?

“Love it or hate it” is the slogan on the bottle. I can send you a jar if you like? I love it. 

3 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

Is it the canadian postal service which is only for rich people or you just send a 10 kilo ammonite?:P

Canada Post is among the more expensive in the world when it comes to parcel delivery service for a variety or reasons, but it isn't too much higher than, say, Japan or Denmark. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

23 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

“Love it or hate it” is the slogan on the bottle. I can send you a jar if you like? I love it. 

Very kind, thank you but I am not sure i could eat a full jar. It would be a waste. The best would be to try an individual portion like the one you get in hotels for breakfast. 

Next time i go back to Europe, i will make a small detour to leicester and i will try it with you.