2018 Secret Santa Spectacular!!!

caldigger

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nor of Tidgys. 

Yeah, but that's just because of the recent population boom of tortoises in Morocco. The invasive species has taken up several niches already, replacing the common mosasaur-hunters, dinosaur-plunderers and trilobite-preparators. Luckily the species hasn't found its way to Europe yet, the consequences would be devastating! :P 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Just now, Max-fossils said:

Yeah, but that's just because of the recent population boom of tortoises in Morocco. The invasive species has taken up several niches already, replacing the common mosasaur-hunters, dinosaur-plunderers and trilobite-preparators. Luckily the species hasn't found its way to Europe yet, the consequences would be devastating! :P 

:)

I wish you were right. 

The wild tortoises in Morocco will probably be gone in 50 years. :(

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

:)

I wish you were right. 

The wild tortoises in Morocco will probably be gone in 50 years. :(

2013-01-25+hugabug+02_pic+04.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Not a Moroccan tortoise.

That's a yellowfoot, i think, from central America. 

Beautiful, though. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Not a Moroccan tortoise.

That's a yellowfoot, i think, from central America. 

Beautiful, though. :wub:

I wouldn't have been able to recognize that. I just looked up "crying turtle" and this one came up. 

I seriously need to deepen my testudine knowledge! :P 

Max Derème

12 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The wild tortoises in Morocco will probably be gone in 50 years.

Is it because of climate change? Or another reason?

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Is it because of climate change? Or another reason?

People. 

They are taken away as babies to be sold as toys for children.

The larger females are used to make banjos and fire bellows. 

We have an increasingly aging population of male tortoises. :(

And we cultivate their environments, they are very sensitive to pesticides, herbicides and even most fertilizers. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

1 minute ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

People. 

They are taken away as babies to be sold as toys for children.

The larger females are used to make banjos and fire bellows. 

We have an increasingly aging population of male tortoises. :(

And we cultivate their environments, they are very sensitive to pesticides, herbicides and even most fertilizers. 

Ughhh... Humans again :ank:

50 million years ago from now, the "alien paleontologists" or whatever will look back and see the Anthropocene as just as catastrophic as the Great Dying. Little will they know that it was all caused by a single species :doh!:

• I found this Informative 3

Max Derème

18 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

50 million years ago from now, the "alien paleontologists" or whatever will look back and see the Anthropocene as just as catastrophic as the Great Dying. Little will they know that it was all caused by a single species :doh!:

We've already exterminated several species of tortoise.

Many more to follow soon unless drastic measures are taken. 

Even Darwin shipped Galapagos torts back to the UK for study and ate them all en route as they were so delicious. :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

16 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

We've already exterminated several species of tortoise.

Many more to follow soon unless drastic measures are taken. 

Even Darwin shipped Galapagos torts back to the UK for study and ate them all on route as they were so delicious. :(

Humanity will never cease to amaze me. When it will make me proud, however, is another question :ninja: 

Max Derème

well i went to morocco in october and i saw a wild tortoise and its baby (i think) walking around near some eucalyptus trees when i went walking so they cat be that rare although i do agree that it is not right to take them as i did see several in the markets

23 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

well i went to morocco in october and i saw a wild tortoise and its baby (i think) walking around near some eucalyptus trees when i went walking so they cat be that rare although i do agree that it is not right to take them as i did see several in the markets

Tortoises do not care for their young. 

If you saw an adult and baby in the same location they were competing for territory. They do not have 'friends'. 

We do not have Eucalyptus trees in Morocco. 

Try not to comment on a country because of a holiday. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

33 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

We do not have Eucalyptus trees in Morocco. 

They exist in Morocco since the climate is right. They, however, are not native.

http://git-forestry-blog.blogspot.com/2007/06/eucalyptus-in-morocco-gum-trees-in-arid.html?m=1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

They exist in Morocco since the climate is right. They, however, are not native.

http://git-forestry-blog.blogspot.com/2007/06/eucalyptus-in-morocco-gum-trees-in-arid.html?m=1

Goodness! 

40% of less than 1 % of the countries plantations?

In areas where there are tortoises naturally thriving?

Where, exactly, I know my tortoise residences, even own one and not a eucalyptus to be seen, I promise you. 

Eucalyptus is also toxic to tortoises ;

https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=113&c=4#.XBA7-ttKjIU

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Here's my Christmas tree "in keeping with the situation" (to quote from the movie "A Christmas Carol" starring Alistair Sim - the best Scrooge of them all, btw).

Resized_20181124_020932_6861.thumb.jpeg.796ce81a72094f9ddf63bd6826ea0196.jpeg

@minnbuckeye, there's a "special" ornament on there for you :muahaha:

Can you find it?

• I found this Informative 3

4 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Alistair Sim - the best Scrooge of them all, btw).

I agree really fantastic movie and book. Alistair Sim really is fantastic actor . My favourite quote is There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!”  on seeing Jacob Marley ghost.

we just watched a miracle on 34st 

DBD4B8A4-3EAC-46F5-B985-3DFE19B12377.jpeg

Just now, Bobby Rico said:

I agree really fantastic movie and book. Alistair Sim really is fantastic actor . My favourite quote is There's more of gravy than of grave about you, whatever you are!”  on seeing Jacob Marley ghost.

It's the best traditional Christmas movie.  I like to watch it Christmas night.  Must be original black and white - no colorization allowed!

On a lighter note, my other favorites are "A Christmas Story" and "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation" ("Are you serious, Clark?").

1 minute ago, Adam86cucv said:

There is at least a pair of awesome Adams :D

Indeed, I won't argue with that! ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

1 minute ago, Peat Burns said:

It's the best traditional Christmas movie.  I like to watch it Christmas night.  Must be original black and white - no colorization allowed!

On a lighter note, my other favorites are "A Christmas Story" and "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation" ("Are you serious, Clark?").

Yes I agree we have watched the National Lampoons last weekend. We are saving A Christmas story until Christmas Day that’s my favourite.  Probably going to watch the Christmas Carol this weekend and in the black and white.  

@Bobby Rico Have you watched Gremlins? I was actually a bit surprised to realize it is marketed as a Christmas movie. I’m not a fan. :wacko: I recently watched “The Nightmare Before Christmas” for the first time. It’s a cute movie, at least in a kooky way. 

21 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

This is my Christmas tree. Notice my pup on the couch :ighappy:

My pup under the tree.

Tid.thumb.jpg.7f5f0a198c11aa40107e8ce6646d6532.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

4 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

...some humans; not all. 

There is nothing inherently bad about being human.  ;) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ