Last week I was contacted by Neil Landman at the AMNH regarding ammonites of the Corsicana Formation of South Texas.  Before the sites were built over, I kept in mind that any and all ammonite finds might be significant from that formation, and noticed that Kenedy and Cobban showed a different ammonite fauna from the same formation in North Texas.  While North TX Corsicana is dominated by Sphenodiscus, South Texas Corsicana is dominated by pachydiscids. 

I had a bunch of diagnostic partial Discoscaphites (conradi?), pachydiscids, Sphenodiscus sp. as well as complete Eutrephoceras c.f. dekayi nautiloids in my remaining surplus, and Neil seems quite pleased to be receiving them this week.  Coupled with a bunch of similar donations made to the MMNS and available on loan, Landman's helpers will have a good sampling available to gain a better understanding of certain ammonite ranges in this poorly exposed interval of Upper Cretaceous in South Texas.  

3 tips wash out of this exercise. 

1)  Teach yourself what is significant and what isn't wherever you collect. 

2)  Don't let bias for pretty fossils keep you from picking up diagnostic partials of anything that might be significant. 

3)  Take home enough for you AND for science whenever possible for the ultimate win-win.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

very cool

Can't take it to the grave.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Archived