Zero or Hero?

Renfro85

I also found this tiny little guy. I’m trying to reinvigorate my childhood obsession with all things geological, so excuse my ignorance. 2 questions: (1) what is this black clay at arbor hills called? And (2) is this tiny shell from a month ago or something older? I don’t know enough about the clay to make heads or tails of this. 

9AD55E2E-D22D-49BD-86CD-822D54F250E4.jpeg

I found this tiny little guy at Arbor Hills in Plano, Texas. I’m trying to reinvigorate my childhood obsession with all things geological, so excuse my ignorance. 2 questions: (1) what is this black clay at arbor hills called? It’s very prevalent/everywhere. And (2) is this tiny shell from a month old or something older? I don’t know enough about the clay to make heads or tails of this. 

P.S.- heck he still could have been living for all I know (I know very little) but seriously I wish I wouldn’t have walked away from this stuff/study at such a young age—so cool!

A6D0D67A-F242-4D4A-ABC3-50BECF7669BF.jpeg

I don't know about the geology of that area, but it certainly looks like a nice little fossil brachiopod. I'd say hero!  I'm sure the experts can add more info.

Maybe something along the lines of Orthostrophia parva. Different matrix, but shell looks similar. This one's from Oklahoma.

1.jpg

The dark shale is part of the Cretaceous Arcadia Park Formation of the Eagle Ford Group.

Nice shell fossil. Never seen one like it from that formation. It could also be a bivalve.

There is a similiar brachiopod from the lower Austin chalk whose name escapes me.

What you have could also be from the transition zone between the uppermost Arcadia Park Formation and the lower part of the Austin Chalk (Atco Formation) where bivalves are more common. What other fossils did you find with the shell?

Any ideas? @JohnJ @Uncle Siphuncle@BobWill

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Good point, John. I thought it might be a bivalve, but I was restrained, not saying it's not a nice specimen. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The dark shale is part of the Cretaceous Arcadia Park Formation of the Eagle Ford Group.

Nice shell fossil. Never seen one like it from that formation. It could also be a bivalve.

There is a similiar brachiopod from the lower Austin chalk whose name escapes me.

What you have could also be from the transition zone between the uppermost Arcadia Park Formation and the lower part of the Austin Chalk (Atco Formation) where bivalves are more common. What other fossils did you find with the shell?

Any ideas? @JohnJ @Uncle Siphuncle@BobWill

This was just a chance find while walking through the park/picking things up here and there and no other fossils were found. I thought I’d found petrified wood but turns out it was calcite slickenside. This particular piece of shale was picked up from the creek itself. 

Here are are some additional images I took tonight that may help:

3A5C0AE4-A9DA-4D09-B08B-A6E06631037C.jpeg

DFC21CE8-C2AD-4C1D-99DD-772EFD9BE763.jpeg

9E06E728-4CF7-43C7-8A5E-A87D3BE1CA80.jpeg

7 hours ago, jhw said:

Maybe something along the lines of Orthostrophia parva. Different matrix, but shell looks similar. This one's from Oklahoma.

1.jpg

Actually they look quite similar! Let me know if the pic below helps pin it down further:)

3DED9557-ADFC-49C2-A3BF-44FCD4EDE485.jpeg

Cool find!!!

I myself really can't tell either whether it's a brachiopod or a bivalve... 

The first picture looks like brachiopod, but the more recent pictures make me think of bivalve... Very weird!

If it is a bivalve, then it is most likely a shell from the Cardiidae (the cockles).

Pectinidae (scallops) also seems like a possibility, but I think that your shell isn't "flat'' enough for that. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils