Fossils from Tanzania

Ranive

Hi all,

Can anyone help me to identify which animal has the bones like the ones in the photo 1 attached? Photos 2 and 3 are to illustrate the cave and its surroundings.

The bones have been found in the underwater cave in Tanzania. It has hundreds of the fossilized bones (seemingly, these are the bones of hippos; unfortunately, I did not have a chance to examine them in detail).

Today we collected the bones like this (photo 1). It seems to me this piece is Cetacea Epiphysis, though I do not know what animal it belongs to. The bones were lying a pile in one underwater “room” (more than 10+ pieces).

Can anyone help me with identification?

Thanks!

photo_2018-10-10_17-42-51.jpg

photo_2018-10-10_17-43-15.jpg

photo_2018-10-10_10-41-16.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

The first piece does look like an emphasys, but I do not know from what.

On the other 2 pieces, it would help to have pictures from all sides with a scale for size.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

6 hours ago, Ranive said:

It seems to me this piece is Cetacea Epiphysis, though I do not know what animal it belongs to. The bones were lying a pile in one underwater “room” (more than 10+ pieces).

I don't think that any cetaceans had been trapped ever in the underwater cave, so I exclude them. The bones are from land mammals. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

15 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I don't think that any cetaceans had been trapped ever in the underwater cave, so I exclude them. The bones are from land mammals. :)

It's true, but I think that's many hippos live before in this cave... more than 20+ pc, because a lot of hippo jaws

I will make today photo with scale

Looks like the last molar has not come out yet, so this is a young hippo. 

The word is epiphysis.  Epiphyses if there are more than one. 

Archived