DLB

18 minutes ago, DLB said:

Its used to buffer the acid on the bones

Ah Ha!  Now I understand.   thanks man

RB

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ah Ha!  Now I understand.   thanks man

RB

No problem Ron I cant count how many times you helped me with a question.

@DLB, what’s your acid strength and can you give the audience an idea of the time that has lapsed since the acid bath began?

Looking good. How much calcium phosphate do you add as the buffer? I could look it up but I’m too lazy. :wacko:

10 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

@DLB, what’s your acid strength and can you give the audience an idea of the time that has lapsed since the acid bath began?

Looking good. How much calcium phosphate do you add as the buffer? I could look it up but I’m too lazy. :wacko:

So the pics are roughly a week a part, some sooner. as for the acid strength I was told to use 7% but I'm more at 80%. I couldn't find any specific amount of calcium to use so I make a paste and apply on the bone. Hope this helps.

33 minutes ago, DLB said:

ooo ya i dont give it a bath i   brush it on slowly.

I was wondering how on earth you still had a fossil with an 80% formic acid bath! That is quite strong; I’m hoping you’re using a respirator, full face mask, chemical apron, full sleeves, working outside, etc. :fingerscrossed:

I’ve used 25% hydrochloric acid in a brush on/immediately rinse application and it was rather nasty. I can’t imagine 80%! Nice results though.

• I found this Informative 1

Im certainly no expert in any sence when it comes to acid prep, but it seems like your using too strong a solution of acid? 

RB

8 minutes ago, DLB said:

so as for the soft rock i think it might be but as for the harder ones seems to be ok

Dont mind me man.  Just do what you think is best.  Goooooooooooooooooo  DLB  gooooooooooooooooo!!!!  :)

RB

All good RLB its new to me. All i can do is do and learn from my mistakes and it seems i have 3 types soft med and hard. Its like the 3 dears too hot too cold  just right.

Comparing these pics to the last set. It appears that the strong acid is degrading the bone as well in specimens 2 and 3.

The previous set showed well defined and inflated centra on the vertebrae. The current set appears to have concave centra that have been eroded. 

well from what limited experience i have . when i tryed to just sand blast it was vary hard even useing 120grit aluminum oxide  didnt even make a dent.so the use of acid softens a thin  layer making it easyer to prep that layer. the softer one might have been ok to sand blast only but it even had hard spots.

2 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

No expert on these, but wonder why don't you scribe and sandblast these?

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Whew! Thankfully, I saw the other pics wrong! Looking good.

thanks hope it comes out as good as i expected