Carcharodontosaurus tooth with a fishy root

Bone guy

Hello everyone! I'm considering this rooted Carcharodontosaurus tooth. It's from the Kem Kem Beds likely Ifezoune formation. I'm pretty certain the crown is real, but the root is suspicious. The seller does openly claim that the root is repaired which is probably why it demands a lower price. Honestly I like the gnarly look of the root, gives it character. But what I'm really concerned with is whether this is a composite. Is there any way to tell from these pictures? Would be cool if this is an all original tooth! 

Thanks for any help, tooth is just under 4 inches. :) 

IMG_1253.PNG

IMG_1254.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

I'm sorry but that root looks butchered. I kind of doubt that it's an original root.

• I found this Informative 2

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

28 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Looks suspicious.

15 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

I'm sorry but that root looks butchered. I kind of doubt that it's an original root.

Yeah I figured. It's pretty gnarly lookin. There will always be more :)

thanks for the responses! 

Sorry, but it appears that matrix has been added to something to give the appearance of a rooted tooth. Your tooth actually looks like compound:

image.png.74ce824b92439f9a13d78a55eb37007a.png

And this, unfortunately, is completely different from what an authentic rooted Carcharodontosaurid tooth, really should look like:

image.png.8bc90bc64b5a94b6119da443abff6900.png

And believe me, Moroccans are experts at forging false roots in Carcharodontosaurids:

image.png.1f6311619a39d22b107f23a74a997436.png

image.png.43fcd26a0b57a783eca5ec1f4e4d3b46.png

I would say it is a Carcharodontosaurid tooth, for the fact is that there is no way to determine that this tooth really can be of the species Carcharodontosaurus, although that is likely to be. So if this were my tooth, I would call it: Carcharodontosauridae sp. indet.

In the not too distant future there may be better specimens out there, although real teeth with real roots are incredibly expensive! :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 2

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG