KimboSlice

Mississippian Worm? Missouri

KimboSlice

From the Mississippian time period. Found in Boone County, MO in a creek bed. It measures approximately 1/2 an inch. I may be reaching to think it’s a worm, but I’m new to identifying my own fossil finds, so please don’t make fun! Included are two photos, with and without flash. Thanks in advance for your help. 

7133C8F7-F56C-44A1-8B81-840DCB391DA8.jpeg

7EEBD79D-781D-4604-B9F0-2A029C3A7F80.jpeg

Ludwigia

Looks more like a small orthocone nautiloid to me, but it would help if you could post higher resolution photos. These are not quite sharp enough.

TqB

Looks like an orthocone to me too.

KimboSlice
10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks more like a small orthocone nautiloid to me, but it would help if you could post higher resolution photos. These are not quite sharp enough.

I agree! I wasn’t really able to get super high resolution photos because it’s so small. I’ll try to post some clearer photos here in a bit. Thanks for your input! Much appreciated. :) 

KimboSlice
11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Do these help? I tried to get them in natural sunlight, and as clear as I could. Measures at 1/2 inch. Not sure if I included that before but just in case I did. 

CF1B58E4-033C-4F04-8CF8-59DF25C093AC.jpeg

02B3DF20-49CC-4EC3-A03B-ED51FB2B986F.jpeg

B9558D72-1E36-44C3-97C0-DE712B90AB8E.jpeg

TqB

Not sure, but it looks more like a weathered crinoid stem now, with the apparent taper due to it going into the rock. And that's definitely a smaller piece of crinoid below it, maybe a cirrus (side branch) which is showing the same sort of texture where it's been weathered.

abyssunder

That was my thought too, a crinoid holdfast or branching column as a possible ID. :)

Ludwigia

I'll go along with the others now that I can see it better. Thanks for the new pics.