Mississippian Worm? Missouri

KimboSlice

From the Mississippian time period. Found in Boone County, MO in a creek bed. It measures approximately 1/2 an inch. I may be reaching to think it’s a worm, but I’m new to identifying my own fossil finds, so please don’t make fun! Included are two photos, with and without flash. Thanks in advance for your help. 

7133C8F7-F56C-44A1-8B81-840DCB391DA8.jpeg

7EEBD79D-781D-4604-B9F0-2A029C3A7F80.jpeg

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks more like a small orthocone nautiloid to me, but it would help if you could post higher resolution photos. These are not quite sharp enough.

I agree! I wasn’t really able to get super high resolution photos because it’s so small. I’ll try to post some clearer photos here in a bit. Thanks for your input! Much appreciated. :) 

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks more like a small orthocone nautiloid to me, but it would help if you could post higher resolution photos. These are not quite sharp enough.

Do these help? I tried to get them in natural sunlight, and as clear as I could. Measures at 1/2 inch. Not sure if I included that before but just in case I did. 

CF1B58E4-033C-4F04-8CF8-59DF25C093AC.jpeg

02B3DF20-49CC-4EC3-A03B-ED51FB2B986F.jpeg

B9558D72-1E36-44C3-97C0-DE712B90AB8E.jpeg

Not sure, but it looks more like a weathered crinoid stem now, with the apparent taper due to it going into the rock. And that's definitely a smaller piece of crinoid below it, maybe a cirrus (side branch) which is showing the same sort of texture where it's been weathered.

Tarquin

That was my thought too, a crinoid holdfast or branching column as a possible ID. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived