Spino jaw section ?

lone5wolf117

Not sure but I would lean towards croc. The spacing of the teeth is large and also the jaw is very wide (the one I have in my collection from which I think its spino is  narrower).

Lets see what the Kem Kem experts say though.

Edit: The jaw fragment has this lip which can be found on lower spino jaws. Several ppl in this forum mentioned that these lips can also be found on croc fossils. If someone has a publication or picture to support that claim I would be very interested to see it.

As I said before, I would lean towards Spinosaur, but wouldn't rule out croc.

It's definitely lower jaw though. It seems pretty big but it doesn't seem to match Elosuchus. But it's important to note that there are at least two types of Spinosaurids in the Kem Kem beds. We only have reference for Spinosaurus aegyptiacus. While we don't have any confirmed jaw material for Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis. Who knows, maybe it's similar but has a smaller lip.

Elosuchus lower jaw.

zoj12448-fig-0004.png.1adf19983dd5dc2b0197252992ab7a03.png

Spinosaurus aegyptiacus lower jaw.

Stromer1915SpinosaurusMandibleDrawings.png.85a5b09d55893f0285350152c5cceb93.png

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

This is a SpinosaurId jaw section ,there are no crocs in the Kem Kem or anywhere for that matter with that raised lip running along the tooth socket line,Elosuchus does not have any part of its jaw with a raised lip .Referring to the post by member FIX ,an adult spinosaurus jaw is much larger and more massive in width and depth than any crocodile,

1 minute ago, Fossilgrove said:

This is a SpinosaurId jaw section ,there are no crocs in the Kem Kem or anywhere for that matter with that raised lip running along the tooth socket line,Elosuchus does not have any part of its jaw with a raised lip .Referring to the post by member FIX ,an adult spinosaurus jaw is much larger and more massive in width and depth than any crocodile,

But sadly I have seen many croc jaws with spinosaurus teeth placed by unscrupulous people and passed off as Spinosaurus ,buyers beware and if in doubt post a photo here ,

7 hours ago, Fossilgrove said:

Though much too small to be a candidate for this specimen. Laganosuchus does have such a lip in certain areas of the lower jaw, although it's not as pronounced. It's also present in the Kem Kem beds. It is also present in some other crocs.

Laganosuchus.jpg.09aefd3daf778fa5931f8a8d8058d96b.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I agree! There are dozens of species of crocodiles present in the Kem Kem beds. Even many of these species were thoroughly studied by Paul Sereno.

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h

Sorry, but particularly I don't believe this is a jaw of a Spinosaurid...

This Spinosaurus tooth looks good, nice fat tooth, but It's highly improbable that the jaw fragment came with the tooth. The question is does it belong to a Spinosaur or other animal but it's too small of a section to really tell. Most Moroccans fake these jaws with those of Crocodile...

Similarly to the jaw that was posted here, the jaws of crocodiles are more rough, while the jaw of a Spinosaurid is smoother. In addition, the sockets in the jaws of a Spinosaurid follow toward the edge, while the Crocodile jaws have more spacing and bone around the socket.

For comparison:

SpinoJaw1_edited-1.jpg

DSC03432.JPG

image.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived