Shark teeth Identification

demetris

Are all of the teeth from the same species( striatolamia)?  Or you can see some other shark species teeth? Found at walton on the naze UK

shark10.jpg

shark9.jpg

shark8.jpg

shark7.jpg

shark6.jpg

shark5.jpg

shark4.jpg

shark3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Most of these look like striatolamna and odontaspis to me, maybe others will be more thorough in their IDs

The teeth pictured appear to include Striatolamna, Odontaspis, Carcharias,  (all species of sand tiger sharks) and perhaps also Anomotodon (goblin shark). It can be incredibly difficult to distinguish teeth from this time period, especially if worn or broken, as they are often very similar in structure. The larger, thicker teeth are likely that of Carcharias or Striatolamna, depending solely on whether or not the enamel has striations, or vertical ridges/grooves (fossilguy.com likens this feature to that of a phonograph record). The smaller and thinner ones with more defined cusps are probably Odontaspis. The teeth that have barely any root, such as the one in the first picture, would be Anomotodon. Again, this is not an easy ID, so much of my analysis is not definite. Just thought I'd give it my best shot. It is also entirely possible that all of the teeth pictured are Striatolamna, considering how remarkably abundant these sharks were. Unfortunately, it will be difficult to come to a solid conclusion for these teeth.

• I found this Informative 1

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~