Proper Cleaning of Fossils?

KimboSlice

Hey! I apologize if this has already been asked/answered. I looked through the site, and did a search, but didn’t come up with anything. However, there is a plethora of information here, so it’s plausibe I simply missed it. 

Is there a preferred method to cleaning fossils without damaging them? What about storing them? Currently, I soak them in hot water with Dawn dish soap, and scrub them with a medium/medium-hard, plastic bristled brush. The same ones you used to clean under your fingernails. Currently, I’ve not found a sufficient storage system, and have just packed them into plastic tupperware, etc. I’m pretty new to fossils, and finding them, and basically anything handling fossils entails, so I want to make sure I’m asking all of the right questions, and am doing things correctly so as to preserve them as they should be. Thanks in advance for your help! Pictures of one of my favorite finds for attention. :) 

3B32D494-2D93-4096-9038-7FF4E858FBFD.jpeg

C9AF5E81-EC1D-4205-B83E-8FF7B11A46A4.jpeg

4186F03A-F8AC-4C79-AF1D-BD780BEA26A3.jpeg

I see no reason why you couldnt use some warm water and a toothbrush on this material. You can also use some hydrogen peroxide as well. Though I do not see much as in dirt, but the algae should come off.

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

There are all kinds of fossils in all kinds of matrix.  Some you can clean like what your doing and others would simply fall apart with water and soap. You have to determine what kind of matrix the fossil is in.   Good luck.

RB

Always label or number your collection so you don’t loses any valuable info.

That’s are hard question small fossil I keep in metal filling cabinet and a wood tool book. I also keep my Hell Creek collection in a bell jar. The rest of my collection is just on shelves but they are open to dust.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, KimboSlice said:

Any tips on how to properly, and safely, store our fossils? 

Some members use bead box I think that is what they are called and they work well. 

F60B7E33-456A-45CA-B7F1-12592ED01296.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

The rest of my collection is just on shelves but they are open to dust.

Much to Mrs. R's dismay :P

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Label, label, label; date, location, formation, and if you can include description of object.  Take a photo as well for your online inventory. Also attach a price tag.  Just in case someone here sees it and has to have it (be reasonable).  :shrug:

• I found this Informative 2

53 minutes ago, Walt said:

Much to Mrs. R's dismay :P

Yes that is true but Mrs R  is also very accepting of my collection.

I have had our dinning table cluttered for about 4 weeks up until today with my macro matrix and tools. I just tidded every thing away  and said I am going to get some more of that stuff soon. She gave me a look with enough force it could have sent me way back to the Permian era. :D 

1 hour ago, goatinformationist said:

Label, label, label; date, location, formation, and if you can include description of object.  Take a photo as well for your online inventory. Also attach a price tag.  Just in case someone here sees it and has to have it (be reasonable).  :shrug:

Excellent ideas!! Thank you!! I haven’t the slightest clue how to price fossils, so that looks like something I’m going to have to research! Thanks again for the advice. 

All excellent ideas!! Thank you all for taking the time to comment and help me (and my two year old!) on our fossil hunting adventures! :) 

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

My Hell Creek Ball jar works great for small items. 

139A810C-24DF-41C7-BDF7-7B9B651F15C1.jpeg

6D274532-7414-4BB1-9A5F-C12C4DF16544.jpeg

Oh, I love, love, love this!! I’ll have to keep an eye out for something similar! 

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

She gave me a look with enough force it could have sent me way back to the Permian era. :D 

That might be a good thing!  That way you can collect the material first-hand straight from the critters!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

15 hours ago, caldigger said:

That might be a good thing!  That way you can collect the material first-hand straight from the critters!

Would they be fossils then? And, more important: How to get back to the Anthropocene?

Franz Bernhard

2 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Would they be fossils then? And, more important: How to get back to the Anthropocene?

Franz Bernhard

She would have to give me the look that says come home now .:) 

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

She would have to give me the look that says come home now .:) 

You might have to wait a few million years for that look. :o

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

You might have to wait a few million years for that look. :o

Like light from the stars. She probably leave me there anyway. 

17 hours ago, KimboSlice said:

Oh, I love, love, love this!! I’ll have to keep an eye out for something similar! 

It looks great and works very well. I got a bigger one to , an extension if I need it. Thank you