Unknown cave fossil

Vaisey

In situ fossil (?) in roof of the UK cave. Carboniferous limestone. Anyone know what this might be. its around 18 inches in diameter. thanks

20180927_140623.jpg    20180927_140622.thumb.jpg.6fdbf608a3911e19c5f2c30ddeee92f2.jpg

That's a puzzler and I've seen a lot of UK Carboniferous limestone...  I'm not convinced it's a fossil but it could be a stromatoporoid or chaetetid.

Lycopod remains of any sort are vanishingly improbable in any Carb limestone thick enough to contain caves.

Roughly what area is this from?

Tarquin

Looks like Rhizostomites to me but like I said, looks like. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I think, it could be a cave formation (speleothem), and it looks like there's another one on the left side of the pictures. Maybe they are the bases of broken large stalactites. The concentric - and radiating patterns are similar to the ones presented below.

20180927_140623.jpg.31502bf54dd9a13ad279871841f0ab14.thumb.jpg.e1909fc5fe137e8f09c3918aa14f4cad.jpgIMG_0202.thumb.jpg.27239dd1333e67f1d82da46e0d713a47.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

it could be a cave formation (speleothem)...... Maybe they are the bases of broken large stalactites.

I agree with this assessment.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I think, it could be a cave formation (speleothem), and it looks like there's another one on the left side of the pictures. Maybe they are the bases of broken large stalactites. The concentric - and radiating patterns are similar to the ones presented below.

I think you've got it. :)

Tarquin

Agreed. The feature just above it in the photos is explained well by dissolution caused by channeling of water toward a point. 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

:headscratch:18"

What do you suppose snapped that sucker off ?

That must been huge . Maybe it’s own weight?

Thanks for all the answers and having revisited the sire although there are no other speleothems in the cave other than very young straws I think I agree with stal base

Archived