Unidentified tooth and weird dino bone

Patrik.S.Olsson

Hi!

I have some question marks about some of my fossils that I bought early as a child.

I have a tooth that was labelled as coelophysis, I know its not a coelophysis, everything about it is wrong for being that, I cant remember where it was found , but if someone has an idea what it possibly/maybe can be its good enough for me. 

The other fossil is a dinosaur Bone fragment which according to what i can remember is from hell creek formation and was labelled as triceratops. Im mostly curious to know why it looks like it does because it doesnt look like a normal fragment to me, it also has some unusal textures within a convex circle. 

Sorry for the mediocre photos, My mobile camera has the Specs of a potato. If you need to see more or better photos, just let me know and I will use another camera :)

_20181012_123111.JPG

_20181012_122837.JPG

To me, your "Triceratops" looks like one side of a broken bivalve shell in matrix.

The first one seems almost too straight. More in focus pictures might help this mystery.

33 minutes ago, caldigger said:

To me, your "Triceratops" looks like one side of a broken bivalve shell in matrix.

The first one seems almost too straight. More in focus pictures might help this mystery.

Okey I see! 
heres some more photos:

id-tooth1.jpg

idtooth2.jpg

idtooth3.jpg

idtooth4.jpg

Not a dinosaur tooth but to a Phytosaur. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

11 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

Not a dinosaur tooth but to a Phytosaur. 

Okey :) this tooth dont have any serrations, could it be a phytosaur tooth besides that?

Not all Phytosaur teeth have serrations. Depends on species and where in the jaw it came from. 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

I agree that it looks quite a lot like shell material, but I don't think it is; I'm pretty sure it's all bone and stone. 

tricbone3.thumb.jpg.c90ade13de641f0335b45430b681cff6.jpg.dcd963b48c44fa2f6a38677a17a6fa50.jpg

I find this part especially interesting. Don't know much in the way of dinosaur fossils, nor HC material, but if anyone can say what this is I'd love to hear it :) 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

11 minutes ago, mikeymig said:

Not all Phytosaur teeth have serrations. Depends on species and where in the jaw it came from. 

Thanks for the info :), dont know much about phytosaurs, but its allways fun to learn new stuff and get better insight when it comes to different type of fossils

4 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I agree that it looks quite a lot like shell material, but I don't think it is; I'm pretty sure it's all bone and stone. 

tricbone3.thumb.jpg.c90ade13de641f0335b45430b681cff6.jpg.dcd963b48c44fa2f6a38677a17a6fa50.jpg

I find this part especially interesting. Don't know much in the way of dinosaur fossils, nor HC material, but if anyone can say what this is I'd love to hear it :) 

Yeah I find it really interesting myself :) im really curious to get an answer too if someone knows. Because I have never seen something like that on another objekt.

7 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

I agree with Max, it looks like shell material but i don't think it is.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I have not been in the Hell Creek Formation, but I have been in the Lance Formation if Wyoming. There are iron concretions there that take all manner of shapes. They have shell or rind type layering that often peel or weathers away in layers. 

Your piece looks like it is melded to an iron concretion to me.

The other side with the unusual texture also  looks like a form of iron mineralization that often forms into concretion. Does it have a rusted or metallic look to it?

Google iron concretion and you’ll see what I mean.

1 minute ago, KimTexan said:

I have not been in the Hell Creek Formation, but I have been in the Lance Formation if Wyoming. There are iron concretions there that take all manner of shapes. They have shell or rind type layering that often peel or weathers away in layers. 

The other side with the unusual texture also  looks like a form of iron mineralization that often forms into concretion. Does it have a rusted or metallic look to it?

I agree that iron concretion was one of my first thoughts too, but this image here made my discard that idea:

tric04.thumb.jpg.5beb07251b38c8fbbcf9b5ed762aa21d.jpg.429ac3251d54f32df74ad31d0e5e654d.jpg

That part on the bottom looks like typical bone structure to me!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

12 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Thanks for the info, It´s a possibility that there is some iron concretion, but parts of it got the typical bone structure, which make me scratch my head a bit about this specimen x)

tric-mer.jpg

tric-mer2.jpg

You’re correct. It definitely looks like bone. Ok then maybe it is a pelvic bone socket where the head of the femur was held. I suppose a shoulder could be a possibility, but I don’t think it would have that strong of a build. I’d be more inclined to think hip area.

45 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

You’re correct. It definitely looks like bone. Ok then maybe it is a pelvic bone socket where the head of the femur was held. I suppose a shoulder could be a possibility, but I don’t think it would have that strong of a build. I’d be more inclined to think hip area.

That sounds highly possible to me, it could be that, if so its from a small or juvenile dino.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think dinos have pelvis since they aren’t mammal. They have ischium, but I don’t think the ischium are that sturdy. The ones I have found were all quite thin and delicate bones compared to the other bones.  

Funny thing is I just posted this yesterday.35B66B0F-1031-4D7D-BC44-322B688FE1DD.thumb.jpeg.625529f5e9d51776597ba6592309f6bf.jpeg

I’m like the blind leading the blind. So if not hip then it wouldn’t be shoulder so that leaves skull fragment. 

What about something like this? I think it may be a fit.

44B7B347-B810-4B45-BD07-E06A8512B306.jpeg.aa4ec60877b506dca7be87be6ce0f6f0.jpeg

pic from here:https://nhm.org/site/sites/default/files/dinosaur_institute/pdf/NHM_DI_Sean_Hurt_Triceratops_Ontogeny.pdf

Very cool! So that would mean the part with the weird pattern is most likely where blood vessel were. Let one more experienced than I chime in. I’m a novice.

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I’m like the blind leading the blind. So if not hip then it wouldn’t be shoulder so that leaves skull fragment. 

What about something like this? I think it may be a fit.

44B7B347-B810-4B45-BD07-E06A8512B306.jpeg.aa4ec60877b506dca7be87be6ce0f6f0.jpeg

pic from here:https://nhm.org/site/sites/default/files/dinosaur_institute/pdf/NHM_DI_Sean_Hurt_Triceratops_Ontogeny.pdf

Very cool! So that would mean the part with the weird pattern is most likely where blood vessel were. Let one more experienced than I chime in. I’m a novice.

Thanks alot for your help, my first thought was actually that the pattern was made from blood vessels but I didnt Want to assume to much. I know a bit about fossils but im not even near as experiencenced as People like troodon, but thats why Im here, to learn more and to chat to people like me. Back to topic:  I wonder if the Bone material is a part from the eyesocket and  the "vesselpattern" is where One of the horns were. This is just speculations, but I do see some similarities. Hopefully someone like @Troodon Will be able to support with their expertise.

2 hours ago, Patrik.S.Olsson said:

Thanks alot for your help, my first thought was actually that the pattern was made from blood vessels but I didnt Want to assume to much. I know a bit about fossils but im not even near as experiencenced as People like troodon, but thats why Im here, to learn more and to chat to people like me. Back to topic:  I wonder if the Bone material is a part from the eyesocket and  the "vesselpattern" is where One of the horns were. This is just speculations, but I do see some similarities. Hopefully someone like @Troodon Will be able to support with their expertise.

I could be totally wrong, but I think the horn attached here to the right of the socket where it is orange.

FEA71F45-AB81-408C-A6FF-49EAAF6F2B5E.thumb.jpeg.93714fcf5c8e5dfd2159a0c17981706c.jpeg

This part would be the cheek below and beind the eye, like the side of its face. If you take the specimen as it is below and rotate it towards you so the horn is on top. Then rotate it counter clockwise a little you would have a left profile view

6ED19761-B144-463F-95CB-290C5BA46961.jpeg.6b3f8437986c16b2af070f3c2cbef039.jpeg

Position it like this. That is the part I believe you have. But I am not a professional, just an enthusiast.

60064777-C5E0-4089-A2E7-49651D56C0DC.jpeg.46057f09ccda6908d77cd2c415fdd660.jpeg

I imagine Troodon would know.

As said above, your tooth is most likely a Phytosaur, or even an amphibian from Quay County, New Mexico. Either Redonda or Bull Canyon Formation.

Here are some similar ones. First two pics from Phytosaur from Quay County, third pic is an amphibian(Metoposaurus) measuring about 0.6 inches from Quay County.

7386-4243.jpg

1faed5d18d6c5772c9ba5bcc4e2ad3eb.jpg

Triassic-Metoposaurus-amphibian-tooth-fossil-Bull-Canyon-Dinosaur-_57.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Archived