BLT

I found this rock in a creek in middle Tennessee. (Mississippian, St. Louis Limestone & Warsaw Limestone) It caught my eye because there appeared to be a hole in the rock. After getting it out of the creek and cleaning it a bit, I’ve noticed the “hole” is actually an indentation in the rock with several raised lines around it. I’m wondering if it could be a crinoid? Also, the other side of this rock had another area I found interesting. Any thoughts on what it could be?

A8801AC1-6B23-4AF9-B080-4A98C73476F2.jpeg

459CB65F-76B4-4C92-B671-AB4F28423BE2.jpeg

BA0AC490-911E-43B8-B248-39C1D9B62427.jpeg

1B9FFCE2-864C-4D96-ADA8-4BDE606B42B3.jpeg

I think the darker areas could be iron concretions, but may be shell material also. It is hard to be sure with the state they are in.

The other areas look like unusual (but not unheard of) fracture patterns.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

12 minutes ago, ynot said:

I think the darker areas could be iron concretions, but may be shell material also. It is hard to be sure with the state they are in.

The other areas look like unusual (but not unheard of) fracture patterns.

Thanks! :)

If you really want to see ichno's in Alabama prepare to get your "drool-on" right here: [PDF]

Steven C. Minkin Paleozoic Footprint Site, Walker County, Alabama

by DC Kopaska-Merkel - ‎2012 - ‎Related articles

important fossil locality in the state of Alabama. Yet most of the fossils there ... and I find another [trackway] that, in the Aldrich and Jones publication, is Bipedes ...

Been there, done that and can't wait to return...   George

I thought they could be entrances to borrowing systems (first six pictures), but it's a little difficult to prove that. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, goatinformationist said:

If you really want to see ichno's in Alabama prepare to get your "drool-on" right here: [PDF]

Steven C. Minkin Paleozoic Footprint Site, Walker County, Alabama

by DC Kopaska-Merkel - ‎2012 - ‎Related articles

important fossil locality in the state of Alabama. Yet most of the fossils there ... and I find another [trackway] that, in the Aldrich and Jones publication, is Bipedes ...

Been there, done that and can't wait to return...   George

I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but I did scroll through all of the pages. Very interesting! Thanks so much! :)

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

I thought they could be entrances to borrowing systems (first six pictures), but it's a little difficult to prove that. :)

Not sure what it is , maybe a trace fossil ? If you are wanting to find crinoids I know of a couple of places in Franklin County Alabama to find some . They are difficult to find complete but we have found several . We always find pentrimites , blastoids , tons of bivalves , an occasional rolled up trilobite  and I found a beautiful starfish years ago . The fossils are found in the Tuscumbia Formation . If interested We usually collect in the late Fall and Winter .

12 hours ago, BLT said:

2ADD5186-0714-4422-BACD-FBDC5F9338C1.jpeg

C9FD3521-8883-42B1-A684-1F9B5A92520A.jpeg

CFB5ED3A-7DF0-4642-8544-16AA3FD9D253.jpeg

3 hours ago, ALABAMAHEADHUNTER said:

If you are wanting to find crinoids I know of a couple of places in Franklin County Alabama to find some . They are difficult to find complete but we have found several . We always find pentrimites , blastoids , tons of bivalves , an occasional rolled up trilobite  and I found a beautiful starfish years ago . The fossils are found in the Tuscumbia Formation . If interested We usually collect in the late Fall and Winter .

Thanks! :) I haven’t started fossil

hunting in Alabama yet, but plan to do so very soon. 

If you are in the Birmingham area there are 2 clubs that have field trips . Birmingham Paleontological Society and Alabama Paleontological Society . I haven't been involved with either one in several years . I still do enjoy collecting fossils but I prefer collecting Indian artifacts . I am always willing to take folks to some really good places to collect . Check out a couple of my recent post on the forum . Also check out my youtube channel " ALABAMAHEADHUNTER " 

1 hour ago, ALABAMAHEADHUNTER said:

If you are in the Birmingham area there are 2 clubs that have field trips . Birmingham Paleontological Society and Alabama Paleontological Society . I haven't been involved with either one in several years . I still do enjoy collecting fossils but I prefer collecting Indian artifacts . I am always willing to take folks to some really good places to collect . Check out a couple of my recent post on the forum . Also check out my youtube channel " ALABAMAHEADHUNTER " 

I’m planning on joining the Birmingham Paleontological Society. :) Thanks! Will do. 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, BLT said:

I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but I did scroll through all of the pages. Very interesting! Thanks so much! :)

Don't have to read the books.  Go to the park for one of their public digs and everything that you find you get to carry home with you.

And everything is there to be found.  Best.

1 hour ago, goatinformationist said:

Go to the park for one of their public digs and everything that you find you get to carry home with you.

And everything is there to be found.  Best.

To which park are you referring? 

20 hours ago, BLT said:

To which park are you referring? 

It's in the title.  Here:

THE STEVEN C. MINKIN PALEOZOIC FOOTPRINT SITE:  A SUCCESSFUL COLLABORATION BETWEEN AMATEUR AND PROFESSIONAL PALEONTOLOGISTS

EHRET, Dana Joseph, Paleontology, Alabama Museum of Natural History, Box 870340, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487 and ATKINSON, T. Prescott, Immunology, University of Alabama Birmingham, 1825 University Blvd, Shelby Building, 403, UAB, Birmingham, AL 35294, djehret@ua.edu

Amateur paleontology is an extremely valuable resource for collecting and studying fossils in Alabama. The state is unique in that it features a geologic and fossil record that spans ~ 500 million years (Cambrian - Pleistocene). Considering there are only a handful of professional paleontologists in the region, much of the work of finding and collecting fossils in Alabama rests on amateurs and citizen scientists. Due to limited staffing and budgets, institutions rely heavily on the diligence and charity of local paleontological societies and amateurs. In Alabama, there are two established societies: the Alabama Paleontological Society (APS) and the Birmingham Paleontological Society (BPS), which work with professionals in the region to preserve and expand knowledge of the fossil record. Paleontologists share their expertise and knowledge with society members through monthly lectures, field trips, and fossil identification meets. In return, the members frequently bring important fossils and fossil localities to the attention of the professionals and regularly contribute specimens to museum collections. A unique example of this partnership was the campaign that led to the preservation of an important paleontological field site through the hard work of the Alabama Paleontological Society.

The Steven C. Minkin Paleozoic Footprint Site in Walker County, AL represents one of the most important and fossiliferous Pennsylvanian ichnofossil localities in the world. The site was originally used as a strip mine for coal production. However, when the mine was closed the process of reclamation was started. Due to the combined efforts of the amateur paleontologists in the APS and their professional colleagues, the site was acquired by the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources State Lands Division and designated a paleontological site. Maintenance and supervision of the site are controlled by the APS under an agreement with the State, and monthly collecting trips to the locality are still ongoing. Important specimens and holotypes including numerous invertebrate and vertebrate trackways, plants, and even insect wings have been recovered. The successful preservation of this important site is an outstanding example of the benefits of cooperative action by amateur and professional paleontologists.

Archived