Presevation and display - Need Links!

LiamL

I would be very greatful if someone could link me to the artists polish/coating they use to preserve and give ammonites a nice shine. I bought beeswax but it came in a large block and melting will be too messy each time.

Also the links to buy paraloid and acetone for presevation of bone material. I dont want to buy the wrong thing.

online or amazon if possible!

Cheers

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

23 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

Will that stain petrified wood?

No It will make it a little darker and of course shinier . Years I go I found  half a large mammoth tooth a long time before I was a member here.  I coated it in the similar artists varnish it has been a good 12 years ago now and still looks great. Always try a little varnish first and let it dry to see how it looks and takes. Bobby I can add a picture but I don’t know if it helps.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

No It will make it a little darker and of course shinier . Years I go I found half a large mammoth tooth a long time before I was a member here.  I coated it in the similar artists varnish it has been a good 12 years ago now and still looks great. Always try a little varnish first and let it dry to see how it looks and takes. Bobby 

Thanks. My wood will look amazing

2 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

Thanks. My wood will look amazing

Is it  polished wood? But remember just to try a tiny bit first.

57 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

Thats it dry. Looks a ton better when wet.

Looks like a quartz mineral and anything You put on it will only coat the surface, it will not "soak in" and will be susceptible to peeling or chipping.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Looks like a quartz mineral and anything You put on it will only coat the surface, it will not "soak in" and will be susceptible to peeling or chipping.

Do I want it to soak in?

4 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

Do I want it to soak in?

It will not soak in. Does not do anything for preservation.

There will be no real bond between whatever You put on it and the rock.

This type of rock should be cut and polished if You want to bring out the colors.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 hours ago, ynot said:

This type of rock should be cut and polished if You want to bring out the colors.

Fully agree. Creating a cut and polished face brings out the natural colours in a way coating never will. Tumbling is another option, though I am personally not a fan.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

I don't think he is looking for preservation. He just wants to give it the "Wet Look" to bring out the colors, which you could probably get with a thin clear coat spray.

He can decide to what level of sheen is desirable.

Not everyone has access to polishing equipment. :shrug:

I personally am not a fan of polished fossils.

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Not everyone has access to polishing equipment. :shrug:

This can be difficult, indeed. Sometimes rock clubs offer shared facilities, might be worth a shot... 

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

I personally am not a fan of polished fossils.

A matter of taste, of course. I tend to agree, but make an exception for petrifactions, as polishing can bring out a lot of structural/anatomical detail (and colour) one would otherwise never see. Regarding colour, the main advantage of polishing is that you know you are looking at the actual thing, not at colours darkened/changed due to a surface coating. But I agree, applying a coating can undoubtedly create a wet-look effect, if that is all that is needed.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Archived