Unknown piece from Miocene of Calvert Formation

racerzeke

Hi all!

Decided to bring out the kayak on this windy Maryland day and it was another amazing hunt although and my arms are definitely suffering. Unfortunately didn't find anything too great but did find an unusual piece  of something I've never seen or found before. Of course like every leaf, shell, or rock it could just be an incredibly suggestively shaped piece of nothing but I think it's some sort of mammal tooth possibly or maybe some type of fish tooth? Comparing it to the seal/peccary online it looks similar but just not enough to convince me so I thought I'd ask the experts!

It's from the Calvert formation of the Chesapeake Group which is early Miocene:

For size reference:

IMG_3427.thumb.JPG.704a8bb66bbc90b3b82de47a4edb7c58.JPG

Close up:

IMG-4138.thumb.JPG.4b4d38376d18ff71204e7c8b32d01ee8.JPG

IMG-4134.thumb.JPG.db5160760dd5666428cffd3816767ea6.JPG

From below:

IMG-4136.JPG

Thanks and I apologize for the blur I guess that's what you get with a clip on magnifier on a cell phone camera :wacko:

Wahoo jaw with teeth. Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Wahoo jaw with teeth. Nice!

Agree.

Nice find. :dinothumb:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

I would be more convinced if we knew what it came from. To be honest, I don't see jaw or teeth, just bone.

Having a view of the ends would be nice.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I’m fairly sure that this is a wahoo jaw, they are pretty distinctive.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

23 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

New one to me. Do they have an oversized foramen in them ?

Wahoo have teeth unfused to the jaw bone, so I don't think this is from a wahoo.  I don't have much experience with these fish, but I'm leaning toward sawfish rostrum.  The fish experts need to help us here.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

16 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

New one to me. Do they have an oversized foramen in them ?

Their jaws are hollow.

@MarcoSr 

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Their jaws are hollow.

@MarcoSr 

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

14 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Agree.

Nice find. :dinothumb:

Looks like a piece of Wahoo jaw to me also.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Interesting. How old do the experts think this is? Is it related to the Wahoo that I am happy to consume upon occasion as "Ono"? Is it miocene, like a lot (if not all) of the sharks teeth are that are found near Calvert Cliffs?

14 minutes ago, MrR said:

Interesting. How old do the experts think this is? Is it related to the Wahoo that I am happy to consume upon occasion as "Ono"? Is it miocene, like a lot (if not all) of the sharks teeth are that are found near Calvert Cliffs?

Miocene, in the same genus as the modern Wahoo though I don’t know if the species has been named yet.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived