Still_human

Has anyone ever come across a gorgonops fossil? Just out of curiosity I did a search, and got ZERO results for fossils for sale. Even super rare animal fossils come up with a result or two from something having been sold at some point in the past, or even from questioned fossils, but nothing, nadda, zilch! Lots of replicas, though.

I believe they are found mainly in South Africa which has pretty strict fossil laws if memory serves.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

15 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I believe they are found mainly in South Africa which has pretty strict fossil laws if memory serves.

Ahh, that'd do it...mystery solved...with a disappointing answer:/

19 hours ago, siteseer said:

It had relatives (Inostrancevia) in Russia but I've never seen any of that for sale either.

That's a shame:/ they're always a very prominent feature in anything about the Permian era, so I would have imagined they were more prominent in reality, and the fossil record. Has anyone ever seen any other close relatives for sale? I used to hate them, but more recently, in the past number of years, since Ive become more interested in the Permian, they've begun to grow on me.

1 hour ago, Still_human said:

they've begun to grow on me.

There you go.....

Just pluck one off and bury it for a couple of million years.:P:rofl:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

52 minutes ago, ynot said:

There you go.....

Just pluck one off and bury it for a couple of million years.:P:rofl:

:doh!:

1 hour ago, JimB88 said:

Ive seen replica skulls on online; and the is a company that does replicas (for a lot of $$$$)

https://www.dinosaurcorporation.com/gorgonopsid.html

though the skull doesnt look like one to me

Yup, there are a LOT of replicas for sale! And yeah, I definitely don't see It either. Maybe the brain case...I could see that.

1 hour ago, JimB88 said:

its a skull, though one of a Pareiasaur instead of a Gogonopsid (they were the prey of the Gogonopsids)

Wow, i still can't tell what's what! Even after looking at other pictures. Well, I guess there goes my dream of becoming the worlds greatest Pareiasaur skull paleontologist:(

6 hours ago, jdp said:

That skull is definitely a gorgonopsian.

Even knowing what specific animal the skull is of, is it difficult for you to make out, or can you see it clearly?

Archived