Some different views of specimen above. These are from the Devonian of ohio. Personally collected. Very rare. Several are now in museum collections.

pp15 4 copy.jpg

pp crop.jpg

Marc

Nice :dinothumb:You must be happy!

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

Very cool! I’m not used to seeing any crustaceans from the Devonian, heck, sometimes I have trouble finding an arthropod or two!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Specimens from concretions in NE Ohio whether phylocarids or Paleopalaemon can be difficult to photograph since they are preserved 3 dimensionally. There is a nice abdomen and tail that wraps all the way around. I probably should add some more pics.

Marc

28 minutes ago, mcgcsp said:

There is a nice abdomen and tail that wraps all the way around. I probably should add some more pics.

Please do, and if You can point out what is which - that would help, those that never seen one before (like Me).

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Some different views of specimen above. These are from the Devonian of ohio. Personally collected. Very rare. Several are now in museum collections. Right half below showing rostrom and maxilliped with rake-like claw.

DSC_0018.JPG

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

These are amazing. I have never seen these before. 

Thanks for posting them. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Ditto that!

I am amazed by this creature, of whose existence I was unaware. What a great surprise, and what splendid examples! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you everyone.  I only picked up paleontology as a hobby when I turned 50, just 5 years ago. These specimens have given me a fortunate and unique opportunity to participate in the long overdue update regarding Palaeopalaemon recently completed. Very few people realize that decapods had already evolved into a very modern form in the Devonian but did not radiate unil far more recently. I am coauthor. Please see attached. I have attached as a courtesy. The 5 specimens I contributed now will reside in the Smithsonian collections which to me is worth more than any $$$. 

Morphology and paleoecology of the oldest lobster-like decapod, Palaeopalaemon newberryi .pdf

Marc

9 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Thank you and glad to share.

Since you are a coelacanth guy, you will love this ,but unbeknownst to me until I just recently happened to have an expert identify them, I have in my possession two juvenile Chagrinia specimens. They are very disarticulated and in small concretions that I had been prepping casually for  several years. The holotype is at CMNH and was collected in 1960. They (scales) can only be appreciated under a microscope.

Marc

Marc

That sounds amazing!  And rare! 

I'll have to look into those.

No chance of any pics of these, I take it?

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

That sounds amazing!  And rare! 

I'll have to look into those.

No chance of any pics of these, I take it?

I am gong to try taking some macro pics within the next week. But again, very dis-articulated. I have always referred to them as looking like Devonian seagull puke... 

Marc

Just now, mcgcsp said:

I am gong to try taking some macro pics within the next week. But again, very dis-articulated. I have always referred to them as looking like Devonian seagull puke... 

Still cool, though.  :) 

3 hours ago, mcgcsp said:

Thank you everyone.  I only picked up paleontology as a hobby when I turned 50, just 5 years ago. These specimens have given me a fortunate and unique opportunity to participate in the long overdue update regarding Palaeopalaemon recently completed. Very few people realize that decapods had already evolved into a very modern form in the Devonian but did not radiate unil far more recently. I am coauthor. Please see attached. I have attached as a courtesy. The 5 specimens I contributed now will reside in the Smithsonian collections which to me is worth more than any $$$. 

Morphology and paleoecology of the oldest lobster-like decapod, Palaeopalaemon newberryi .pdf

Amazing finds. 

If you collected some of the decopods and donated them to the Smithsonian you are eligible for the Partners Award. You should post this fact into TFF Partners in Paleontology section. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/188-partners-in-paleontology-member-contributions-to-science/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Amazing finds. 

If you collected some of the decopods and donated them to the Smithsonian you are eligible for the Partners Award. You should post this fact into TFF Partners in Paleontology section. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/188-partners-in-paleontology-member-contributions-to-science/

Thanks,  but I contributed them to the project and study. And since specimens used in a professional publication must be permanently stored in a public collection Dr. Feldmann felt it best to direct them to the Smithsonian. Not sure if that makes a difference. Either way I have all documentation. Marc

Marc

• 4 weeks later...

Wonderful specimens of a unique early decapod. :wub:

And thanks for donating them to the Smithsonian and your contributions to the paper. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 7/15/2018 at 8:06 PM, mcgcsp said:

Thanks,  but I contributed them to the project and study. And since specimens used in a professional publication must be permanently stored in a public collection Dr. Feldmann felt it best to direct them to the Smithsonian. Not sure if that makes a difference. Either way I have all documentation. Marc

The "partners in paleontology" is a TFF award for members that have donated a fossil find to a university or museum.

You only need to make a post that details the donation in the correct thread (linked in DPSammonite's post above), to collect Your prestigious badge.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 2 months later...

Palaeopalaemon newberryi

Chagrin shale

Devonian

Northeast Ohio, USA

Specimens were used in the publication “Morphology and paleoecology of the oldest lobster-like decapod, Palaeopalaemon newberryi Whitfield, 1880”, Journal of Crustacean Biology (2018).

Smithsonian USNM (United States National

Museum of Natural History, Washington, DC, USA).

USNM numbers

PP write upx.pdf

Marc

Archived