A Cretaceous and Devonian Weekend

Darktooth

20 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

What's kind of interesting (to me at least) about the pyrite/marcasite in the NJ Cretaceous brooks - the wood crumbles within months but all the shark teeth with pyrite/marcasite bases I've found have actually withstood the test of time really well and have the same luster (roughly) as they did when I found them.

shark.jpg

Maybe because they come from different deposits?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

26 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Maybe because they come from different deposits?

I would think that part is (almost) definitely true. I know of a stream in Burlington County NJ where this wood is everywhere but I only found one shark tooth there. 

I'm really not sure the wood is even Cretaceous. I would assume it is however because I heard the Sayerville Amber pit has this stuff too..

• I found this Informative 1

20 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

What's kind of interesting (to me at least) about the pyrite/marcasite in the NJ Cretaceous brooks - the wood crumbles within months but all the shark teeth with pyrite/marcasite bases I've found have actually withstood the test of time really well and have the same luster (roughly) as they did when I found them.

shark.jpg

I think it is because shark teeth are much denser than the porous/fragile wood.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

9 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I think it is because shark teeth are much denser than the porous/fragile wood.

Could be..

I've only had these for a few years; they are doing good so far but that's not to say that the deterioration isn't just taking longer. I guess I'll find out in a few decades.

12 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

I would think that part is (almost) definitely true. I know of a stream in Burlington County NJ where this wood is everywhere but I only found one shark tooth there. 

I'm really not sure the wood is even Cretaceous. I would assume it is however because I heard the Sayerville Amber pit has this stuff too..

Even if they come from different deposits, the wood is likely to be more susceptible to time.

What other ages are you considering for the wood?

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

16 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Even if they come from different deposits, the wood is likely to be more susceptible to time.

What other ages are you considering for the wood?

If it's not Cretaceous (which I think it is but am not sure), I unfortunately lack the knowledge to even make an educated guess on this one.

Congratulations Dave. That sounds like you had a great outing with Frank. He's one of the elite Cretaceous collectors in New Jersey and times spent collecting with him are always rewarding. 

9 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Awesome find Dave! Sorry I was unable to come along but maybe we can get an outing some time this Spring. 

I am planning on getting back there more often so Spring will be good, though I hope to get back there before then.:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Mr. Spirifer and I also enjoyed our DSR trip! We brought home a variety of stuff, which we'll have to look through and identify. I was focusing mostly on bivalves, Carl was looking for trilobites. Both of us were collecting anything that struck our interest, so we got more than just those two types. We ended up with 7 full "shoebox" plastic tubs, 1 nearly-full bead box, and 3 slabs that didn't fit in either. It'll take some time to go through that haul and identify things!

All in all, a very good day in the field. Seeing a bald eagle fly overhead at the end of the day was a bonus.