Rayminazzi

Had a pretty fun day here in San Antonio, started off by meeting Dan, talked for a little while before he moved on to go scout some other areas, moved down a ways and found a mosasaur vertebrae (my first), and then a pachydiscus (also a first for me) had to leave for a while but came back and found more pachydiscus chunks and then a giant pachydiscus that I had almost stepped on probably 10 times or more.

28 minutes ago, Rayminazzi said:

Chunks of ammonite and trigonia? 

IMG_20181014_192810.jpg

Inoceramus

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

21 minutes ago, Rayminazzi said:

IMG_20181014_183213.jpg

Well done.  I hope it holds together!  The conchoidal fracture tendencies can at times let go unpredictably if not stabilized.

Grüße,

1 minute ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Well done.  I hope it holds together!  The conchoidal fracture tendencies can at times let go unpredictably if not stabilized.

Out of curiosity is there a way to stabilize them, I actually thought about stabilizing resin used for wood.

I’d probably wick thin superglue in from the back, let it cure, then clean anything you care to on the front with a wet toothbrush, let it dry, superglue any cracks on the sides, and lastly, minimize any superglue on the front.  Wick it into cracks and wipe excess off the surface with a paper towel within 2 seconds to minimize permanent discoloration.

Grüße,

The cheap Walmart stuff in the black and yellow blister pack works great.

Grüße,

Hey Ray, here is my favorite Pachy from your site, found maybe 15 years ago.  Watch for Trachyscaphites too as they can pop up at times.

DC49DA83-9A05-4750-88B1-9AF459496B43.jpeg

48D3A826-325D-40B6-8A9C-7FA6E2B154B5.png

Grüße,

4 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Hey Ray, here is my favorite Pachy from your site, found maybe 15 years ago.  Watch for Trachyscaphites too as they can pop up at times.

DC49DA83-9A05-4750-88B1-9AF459496B43.jpeg

48D3A826-325D-40B6-8A9C-7FA6E2B154B5.png

Beautiful, Is that kind of shiny surface from super glue?

11 minutes ago, Rayminazzi said:

Beautiful, Is that kind of shiny surface from super glue?

No sir.  I was a beginner when I found this and used watered down Elmer’s.  No harm...it’s yellow anyway.

Grüße,

Excess superglue can impart a sheen while also darkening the specimen locally, especially if there is still dirt along the crack.

Grüße,

6 minutes ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

No sir.  I was a beginner when I found this and used watered down Elmer’s.  No harm...it’s yellow anyway.

It seems to have held up well over 15 years

What on earth is THAT  modern nautiloid doing contaminating the fossil continuity of your display?!!!  

Oh the shame you must feel, oh the shame!

20181014_191111.png

19 minutes ago, caldigger said:

What on earth is THAT  modern nautiloid doing contaminating the fossil continuity of your display?!!!  

Oh the shame you must feel, oh the shame!

20181014_191111.png

Ain't it grand lying in repose betwixt the Hercoglossa?  Actually, I inherited that one from Brent Dunn's collection after he passed.

Grüße,

I especially love the in-situ shots of the Pachydiscus - congratulations on a good hunt - thanks for sharing!

Archived