Paleo Trivia - Part Deux

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Since this week's Paleo Trivia answer came quite quickly, I dug waaaayyyyyyy deep into the Paleo Trivia Lab's files and came up with this related factoid.

Understand, I only have ele data on one other state, but this state has MASTODON fossils alone reported from 2/3 of the counties in that state. I counted 'em. There may be other states with more, but you have to guess which state I counted.

3 clues,

1. It ain't Hawaii

2. It ain't Nebraska

3. I actually counted them. (yes, that's really a useless clue, except for anyone that knows the answer right off)

Since this week's Paleo Trivia answer came quite quickly, I dug waaaayyyyyyy deep into the Paleo Trivia Lab's files and came up with this related factoid.

Understand, I only have ele data on one other state, but this state has MASTODON fossils alone reported from 2/3 of the counties in that state. I counted 'em. There may be other states with more, but you have to guess which state I counted.

3 clues,

1. It ain't Hawaii

2. It ain't Nebraska

3. I actually counted them. (yes, that's really a useless clue, except for anyone that knows the answer right off)

Here's my go...Michigan?

Indiana

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

well, all i can say is that it's apparently hard as heck fire to find all that stuff in texas, because my owner has come butt-dragging in so many times looking half dead saying he's been fossil hunting that i can't count them. well, actually, i can't count, but if i could, it'd be a bunch...

tracer's cat

Guest Smilodon

well, all i can say is that it's apparently hard as heck fire to find all that stuff in texas, because my owner has come butt-dragging in so many times looking half dead saying he's been fossil hunting that i can't count them. well, actually, i can't count, but if i could, it'd be a bunch...

tracer's cat

Re: cat counting

post-2027-12524640122384_thumb.jpg

3 clues,

1. It ain't Hawaii

2. It ain't Nebraska

I would have guessed Florida or Nebraska on the first one (the latter because your topic about museums reminded me how mastodont-heavy that state is/was) so I will go with Florida.

You're counting the counties? You're working hard for the forum.

Guest Smilodon

3 clues,

1. It ain't Hawaii

2. It ain't Nebraska

post-2027-12525063602039_thumb.jpg

You guys were close but not quite close enough. There is actually a map of the state in this publication showing every county that mastodons have been found. I was flabbergasted so that's why I counted. Most of the book is dedicated to invertebrates, but there are Pleistocene fossils of all sorts as well as Permian pelycosaurs like Dimetrodon too. Who'd have thunk?

Who'd a' thunk it?

The first thing that comes to my mind when "Ohio fossils" is mentioned is Paleozoic stuff...with a pre-conceived notion like that, it's easy to forget that Pleistocene mammals would have been living (and dieing) on top of the older stuff.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ohio never even crossed my mine. Well time to dig out the books and read up on Ohio

Thanks Don I think

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Guest Smilodon

Who'd a' thunk it?

The first thing that comes to my mind when "Ohio fossils" is mentioned is Paleozoic stuff...with a pre-conceived notion like that, it's easy to forget that Pleistocene mammals would have been living (and dieing) on top of the older stuff.

Exactly - trilos and brachs, but don't forget Mr Dunkle and sharks from the Cleveland shale and most surprising of all, Permian, mammal-like reptiles - are you kidding me?

On the pleisto side, there is Castoroides ohioensis (giant beaver) too. My sense is that alot of the Ice Age stuff comes from peat bogs not surface collecting which would tend to diminsh amateur collecting.