ID on Devonian Echinoderm

minnbuckeye

I was on a quarry hunt with our fossil club yesterday and noticed this 1 cm. specimen in a sandy/ shaley rock that had scattered cinoidal fragments in it. No one could ID it, so I am offering it up to the experts here on the forum to tell me what it is before I attempt prepping it. The quarry is Devonian, but I can not tell you more than that since this was found in a heap of stones, not from the wall itself.

thanks,

Mike

2018-10-15.thumb.jpg.b7b4e418f1405744e4f4323b8f1f248d.jpg

I am more inclined to think that it is a loose fragment of a crinoid calyx.

you can see simmilar parts on this picture: ( bottom left )

38699800_311174749448682_1556921770739499008_n.thumb.jpg.7682bd42dae1efb4f056867d84b706b4.jpg

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

7 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

I am more inclined to think that it is a loose fragment of a crinoid calyx.

you can see simmilar parts on this picture: ( bottom left )

I believe you're right - that'll teach me to see corals everywhere! :blush:

Tarquin

20 minutes ago, TqB said:

...that'll teach me to see corals everywhere! :blush:

I see trilobites everywhere... looky-smiley.gif?1292867633 ...sounds perfectly reasonable to me! :P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

nice crinoid plate

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Is there a way to distinguish genus or species from a fragment of a crinoid calyx? And seeing pictures of crinoid calyxs on line, is the pointy thing in the middle indicative of a plate that attached to the stem??

On 10/15/2018 at 1:10 PM, minnbuckeye said:

I was on a quarry hunt with our fossil club yesterday and noticed this 1 cm. specimen in a sandy/ shaley rock that had scattered cinoidal fragments in it. No one could ID it, so I am offering it up to the experts here on the forum to tell me what it is before I attempt prepping it. The quarry is Devonian, but I can not tell you more than that since this was found in a heap of stones, not from the wall itself.

thanks,

Mike

2018-10-15.thumb.jpg.b7b4e418f1405744e4f4323b8f1f248d.jpg

Hey Mike. What club do you belong to out there? I just went on the MAPS/CVRMS quarry trip last Sunday. Is that where you were? 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

@fossilized6s, yep, that's where it came from! CVRMS is the club I am in. Have always wondered if any forum members were involved in any of these clubs. Now I know at least one!!!! I make it to most of the quarry hunts here, so next time you are going to Klein or Conklin, let me know so I can say hello. Hey, maybe we already know each other. How was your finds?? I did score 3 likely whole trilos but each needs prep work to know for sure.

Happy Hunting

Mike

Out of curiosity, were you the one scouting for placoderms??

@crinus, thanks for the likely ID. I was beginning to think it would remain without a name. I am getting a bit anal about IDs, something that has developed the more I hunt. Hopefully that is good.

found this image that matches very close:Dolatocrinus-triangulatus-crinoid-calyx-fossil-Thunder-Bay-Limestone-Alpena-Michigan-USA-Devonian-Period-bottom.jpg

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@fossilized6s, yep, that's where it came from! CVRMS is the club I am in. Have always wondered if any forum members were involved in any of these clubs. Now I know at least one!!!! I make it to most of the quarry hunts here, so next time you are going to Klein or Conklin, let me know so I can say hello. Hey, maybe we already know each other. How was your finds?? I did score 3 likely whole trilos but each needs prep work to know for sure.

Happy Hunting

Mike

Out of curiosity, were you the one scouting for placoderms??

I was. Tall younger guy with the beard. And i found one! Prep is going to be rough. The texture of the plating sticks very well to matrix. Lol....ugh. It's a nice size chunk though. About 5"x4". 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

10 minutes ago, fossilized6s said:

I was. Tall younger guy with the beard. And i found one! Prep is going to be rough. The texture of the plating sticks very well to matrix. Lol....ugh. It's a nice size chunk though. About 5"x4". 

@fossilized6s, though we did not meet, I was the one at the end of the day that helped your female friend knock some fossils out of the rock for her. You must have took all of her heavy hammers. LOL . I did tell her to visit the CVRM trips to Raymond quarry east of Waterloo. Unbelievable crystals everywhere! Fossils are not as common. But for you, I have found fish teeth and placoderm like material there. Watch for their trips. It is worth it. So different than Klein or Conklin.

Mike

On 10/15/2018 at 12:43 AM, minnbuckeye said:

Is there a way to distinguish genus or species from a fragment of a crinoid calyx? And seeing pictures of crinoid calyxs on line, is the pointy thing in the middle indicative of a plate that attached to the stem??

This might be helpful: R. V. Kesling & L. W. Mintz. 1963. Species of the crinoid Dolatocrinus from the Middle Devonian Dock Street Clay of Michigan. Contributions from the Museum Of Paleontology. VOL. XVIII, No. 5, pp. 67-100 .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

10 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@fossilized6s, though we did not meet, I was the one at the end of the day that helped your female friend knock some fossils out of the rock for her. You must have took all of her heavy hammers. LOL . I did tell her to visit the CVRM trips to Raymond quarry east of Waterloo. Unbelievable crystals everywhere! Fossils are not as common. But for you, I have found fish teeth and placoderm like material there. Watch for their trips. It is worth it. So different than Klein or Conklin.

Mike

Sounds interesting. I'll definitely be looking into it. 

~Charlie~

Archived