Bobby Rico

Top tips for your Clip-on lens for phones

Bobby Rico
3 minutes ago, Walt said:

wow!  great detail.  It looks like the worm tube has even more inside to discover.

Thanks Walt It does indeed .I think it is more interesting than just this ammonite. 

Walt
2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think it is more interesting than just this ammonite

As Feynman said, there is plenty of room at the bottom.

Bobby Rico
29 minutes ago, Walt said:

As Feynman said, there is plenty of room at the bottom.

I will have to explore there some more then. :D

Kane

+1 for Bobby's recommendation not to rely too heavily on the zoom function as it introduces significant noise (I think the software tries to "fill in" an approximation of pixel colour value to compensate for pixel spacing). 

One way to steady the device for photo taking (apart from purchasing a tripod) is to rest the device on a raised level surface such as a few books, which you can then adjust the height to get the proper ideal distance from the object. This is optimal for those objects that require photographing at a straight-on/down angle. As you only need to expose the upper portion where the camera lens is, you rest the device so that most of it is lying atop the books with the upper portion extended beyond the edge.

Bobby Rico
2 hours ago, Kane said:

+1 for Bobby's recommendation

Hi Kane in this thread I only use the camera phone zoom on the fish jaw so really if you got a good phone and macro lens no real need to use the zoom at all. I am hooked on Macro photography now.:D 

Bobby Rico
1 hour ago, Kane said:

One way to steady the device for photo taking (apart from purchasing a tripod) is to rest the device on a raised level surface such as a few books

Top tip I will test it out later. Cheers Bobby 

Bobby Rico

Today I have been looking through my trilobite collection to find a Welsh trilobite for @Tidgy's Dad 

I found this little beauty I don't think I have ever probably seen it before so another  good reason to get a Marco lens just to see the hidden marvels . I am pretty pleased to see the details and  it is like having a new treasure . It is about 4mn Weeksins late Cambrian Utah. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tidgy's Dad
9 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Today I have been looking through my trilobite collection to find a Welsh trilobite for @Tidgy's Dad 

I found this little beauty I don't think I have ever probably seen it before so another  good reason to get a Marco lens just to see the hidden marvels . I am pretty pleased to see and  it is like having a new treasure . It is about 4mn Weeksins late Cambrian Utah. 

Very nice, Bobby.:)

I love the trilos from the Week's Formation and those others in Utah. 

But it's a bit of a way from Wales. ;)

Bobby Rico
8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice, Bobby.:)

I love the trilos from the Week's Formation and those other's in Utah. 

But it's a bit of a way from Wales. ;)

Or is it? There is a town in Utah called Wales :dinothumb: thanks mate for the extra info I will update my label later. My quest is to find the Walsh trilobite your after. :)

Tidgy's Dad
18 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Or is it? There is a town in Utah called Wales :dinothumb: thanks mate for the extra info I will update my label later. My quest is to find the Walsh trilobite your after. :)

Crikey! 

So my ancestors were coal miners from Utah! That's a turn up for the books. :)

Bobby Rico

First time  photographing coprolite but long time collector. :D

Some nice inclusions probably fish scales and bone matter too. Their a World up close to discover through a Macro lens .

Lyme Regis , Black Ven Jurassic age (loser Lias). I photographed in a square format this did cropped out the blurred edges. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jaimin013

Hi there, I may have asked before but do you know where I can get a lense like this for my android Samsung s8 edge plus? I am interested in macro photography for some of my smaller items. I have seen a similar item for android but users have complained about the issues they face with clip on macro lenses in that they need to hold the lense right up next to the item and as a result the lighting is not great due to touching the surface of the lense to the item they are trying to photograph. I presume you do not have this issue?

Thanks!

Jaimin013
On 25/10/2018 at 4:46 PM, Bobby Rico said:

It is amazing the hidden details that are revealed by a Macro lens. It has opened up a new way for me to enjoy and understand fossil.  Photographed this yesterday  

Dactylioceras Cf Athleticum

with a worm tube

Ilminster Somerset.uk

This is really cool!

Bobby Rico
1 hour ago, Jaimin013 said:

d as a result the lighting is not great due to touching the surface of the lense to the item they are trying to photograph. I presume you do not have this issue?

I have an iPhone so can’t say about any other phones. As for lighting problem only on the high magnification does the lens need to be anywhere near the object your photographing and the lens I have has a clear rim around to let light in. If I put my lens too closer to the object it would be out of focus. amazon is the place to purchase them at about £12 to £20 pounds.  All the best Bobby 

Jaimin013
3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I have an iPhone so can’t say about any other phones. As for lighting problem only on the high magnification does the lens need to be anywhere near the object your photographing and the lens I have has a clear rim around to let light in. If I put my lens too closer to the object it would be out of focus. amazon is the place to purchase them at about £12 to £20 pounds.  All the best Bobby 

Thanks for the help. I may need to play around with a few before I find one that is right and works well.

Adam86cucv

I picked up a clip on lens set from Amazon. 9 lenses, some probably won't even be used and 2 clips during black Friday sales.  I see the set is now almost twice what I picked it up it for.  Anyways, here is my first attempt at using the macro lens.  I forgot to add a scale.  The crinoid stems is approximately 7-8mm across at the widest.

IMG_20181216_092425709.jpg

IMG_20181216_092452682.jpg

Edited by Adam86cucv
Forgot a scale

Bobby Rico
1 minute ago, Adam86cucv said:

first attempt at using the macro lens. 

Brilliant first attempt a lot better mine was . Good photos can you please show a photo of the lens I have been thinking about getting some more. Cheers Bobby 

Adam86cucv
2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Brilliant first attempt a lot better mine was . Good photos can you please show a photo of the lens I have been thinking about getting some more. Cheers Bobby 

Here is the one I bought I also like that it came with a handy carrying case.

IMG_20181216_113605885.jpg

IMG_20181216_113643457.jpg

Adam86cucv

Here are a couple of small ammonites I bought recently. IMG_20181216_114117085.thumb.jpg.3b068dc23a9810ed14d43eaee29d64c2.jpg

Approximately 17mm at the widest point

IMG_20181216_114138073.thumb.jpg.2d73c73b3ec4d89d5ac08a8d8452795a.jpg

Approximately 13mm at the widest point

Adam86cucv

IMG_20181216_114103469.thumb.jpg.633e11607c85db40480e21bf50b7c002.jpg

Approximately 12mm at the widest point

Bobby Rico

Thanks @Adam86cucv brilliant I will look at that later. Nice photos and ammonites too. If you got some hash plates I recommend photography them. The look amazing like alien landscapes. 

Thanks for adding to this thread much appreciated. Cheers Bobby 

Adam86cucv

Thanks, I will have to pull out some bryozoans from the Mahantango formation we found a few years ago. It kind of looks like delicate lace work.

Bobby Rico
29 minutes ago, Adam86cucv said:

Thanks, I will have to pull out some bryozoans from the Mahantango formation we found a few years ago. It kind of looks like delicate lace work.

Great if you can :popcorn: just for interest I started a Hash plate thread and there have been some stunning examples added. If you get the chance my friend have a look . Cheers Bobby 

Brett Breakin' Rocks

This thread is the best .. I juuust picked up one of these clip on lenses.  Has anyone bought or attempted to use the optical scopes or microscopes (?) that use the connector on your phone for power.  The better ones have their own led light-source and can shoot video and stills.  Various magnification ranges .. but some come with tripods.

This one has a standard USB connector but I know some are compatible with phones .. I'm thinking Samsung models in particular.

product_23686_product_shots1_image.jpg.98e7f34c75f477b0b7c7706a4ac3be8f.jpg

Cheers,

Brett