Bobby Rico

Top tips for your Clip-on lens for phones

Bobby Rico
3 minutes ago, Walt said:

wow!  great detail.  It looks like the worm tube has even more inside to discover.

Thanks Walt It does indeed .I think it is more interesting than just this ammonite. 

Walt
2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I think it is more interesting than just this ammonite

As Feynman said, there is plenty of room at the bottom.

Bobby Rico
29 minutes ago, Walt said:

As Feynman said, there is plenty of room at the bottom.

I will have to explore there some more then. :D

Bobby Rico

Hi all

I have practiced using a Macro lens and the zoom in function of the phone/pad. It is very had to get a an ok photograph when using this combination. I did manage to get some good results. I don’t recommend it because it is to be completely still but if you needed a much closer image he is some tips.

Tip 1. Don't use the zoom function to focus instead move the phone close and away from the object until the object is in focus .

Tip 2. You need to be completely still, this takes practice.

Tip. 3 With my setup I could only use 50% of the zoom function available to me. After I reached the 50% mark the images got too blurred and grainy.

Lycoptera davidi bottom jaw is about 3mm only.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kane

+1 for Bobby's recommendation not to rely too heavily on the zoom function as it introduces significant noise (I think the software tries to "fill in" an approximation of pixel colour value to compensate for pixel spacing). 

One way to steady the device for photo taking (apart from purchasing a tripod) is to rest the device on a raised level surface such as a few books, which you can then adjust the height to get the proper ideal distance from the object. This is optimal for those objects that require photographing at a straight-on/down angle. As you only need to expose the upper portion where the camera lens is, you rest the device so that most of it is lying atop the books with the upper portion extended beyond the edge.

Bobby Rico
2 hours ago, Kane said:

+1 for Bobby's recommendation

Hi Kane in this thread I only use the camera phone zoom on the fish jaw so really if you got a good phone and macro lens no real need to use the zoom at all. I am hooked on Macro photography now.:D 

Bobby Rico
1 hour ago, Kane said:

One way to steady the device for photo taking (apart from purchasing a tripod) is to rest the device on a raised level surface such as a few books

Top tip I will test it out later. Cheers Bobby 

Bobby Rico

Today I have been looking through my trilobite collection to find a Welsh trilobite for @Tidgy's Dad 

I found this little beauty I don't think I have ever probably seen it before so another  good reason to get a Marco lens just to see the hidden marvels . I am pretty pleased to see the details and  it is like having a new treasure . It is about 4mn Weeksins late Cambrian Utah. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tidgy's Dad
9 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Today I have been looking through my trilobite collection to find a Welsh trilobite for @Tidgy's Dad 

I found this little beauty I don't think I have ever probably seen it before so another  good reason to get a Marco lens just to see the hidden marvels . I am pretty pleased to see and  it is like having a new treasure . It is about 4mn Weeksins late Cambrian Utah. 

Very nice, Bobby.:)

I love the trilos from the Week's Formation and those others in Utah. 

But it's a bit of a way from Wales. ;)

Bobby Rico
8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very nice, Bobby.:)

I love the trilos from the Week's Formation and those other's in Utah. 

But it's a bit of a way from Wales. ;)

Or is it? There is a town in Utah called Wales :dinothumb: thanks mate for the extra info I will update my label later. My quest is to find the Walsh trilobite your after. :)

Tidgy's Dad
18 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Or is it? There is a town in Utah called Wales :dinothumb: thanks mate for the extra info I will update my label later. My quest is to find the Walsh trilobite your after. :)

Crikey! 

So my ancestors were coal miners from Utah! That's a turn up for the books. :)