Funny smelling fossil?

BayFinds

I found 3 pieces of this black stuff along the James River in VA (Yorktown formation) 

It’s porous and lighter feeling than bones I’ve found in that area. It also smells like tar. Does anyone know what it could be? These pieces are 2 inches, but I have another that is a bit longer. The white bits are sand.

FF28BDCD-764C-457F-8976-D3FEC15C0F76.jpeg

C79A0419-5D88-4848-9566-F847AEA473FA.jpeg

I’d say some form of tar. I think I see a bit of plant debris and other material stuck in it.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I forgot to mention that it leaves a black residue on my skin when rubbed, sort of like charcoal.

I believe it's a chunk of road. That is, paving material.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Not a bad idea with the bituminous aggregates.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

17 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

I believe it's a chunk of road. That is, paving material.

Is there an award for dumbest fossil ID question? If so, I think I just won it! I can’t believe I just described every feature of asphalt and couldn’t figure out it was asphalt. 

3 minutes ago, BayFinds said:

Is there an award for dumbest fossil ID question? If so, I think I just won it! I

Sorry, but not even close to the dumbest ID request on this forum.:D

• I found this Informative 4

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 minutes ago, ynot said:

Ditto!

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Haha! Phew! I’m sure I’ll find some styrofoam or a chicken bone for you to ID tomorrow.

• I found this Informative 1

57 minutes ago, BayFinds said:

Is there an award for dumbest fossil ID question? If so, I think I just won it! 

Oh no, not so fast! You will not usurp snolly's rightful designation. You have not yet begun to approach the intellectual detours on which snolly's thinking has traveled. Dumbest! Ha! I think not! You will have to blunder mightily to outdo snolly! 

Pick up what intrigues you. Have fun. As you are obviously experiencing, it's a wonderful, surprising world.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 minute ago, snolly50 said:

Oh no, not so fast! You will not usurp snolly's rightful designation. You have not yet begun to approach the intellectual detours on which snolly's thinking has traveled. Dumbest! Ha! I think not! You will have to blunder mightily to outdo snolly! 

Pick up what intrigues you. Have fun. As you are obviously experiencing, it's a wonderful, surprising world.

Haha! This made my night. I guess it’s just as important to know what isn’t a fossil as what is. I will keep collecting and having fun, and at least I DIDN’T post the piece of pumice stone I found along with these.

1 hour ago, BayFinds said:

Haha! Phew! I’m sure I’ll find some styrofoam or a chicken bone for you to ID tomorrow.

That's not Styrofoam, it's Oolitic Polystyrene! :P

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG