First trip to meg ledge north carolina

Slaugbr1

Me and my wifes first trip to the meg ledge we pulled up 20 teeth! Between the 7 of us on the boat we pulled up over 100 teeth

35893AEE-5DDD-4B3F-9400-5057E388E52A.jpeg

That’s a great haul.... amazing how many large teeth they find up there :wub:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

2 hours ago, Slaugbr1 said:

My wife made a coffetable shadow box display

That's a great display. It shows off your bountiful haul and I am sure will evoke memories of a wonderful adventure for many years to come. Your wife has a decorator's flair for making an impact with the display.  

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

10 hours ago, snolly50 said:

That's a great display. It shows off your bountiful haul and I am sure will evoke memories of a wonderful adventure for many years to come. Your wife has a decorator's flair for making an impact with the display.  

I had her read your post! She went to school for interior design meant alot to her. Trust me though she went through the tough diving and finding that table and setting it up for me. She thinks they are really cool but i have a promblem 

17 hours ago, Slaugbr1 said:

Me and my wifes first trip to the meg ledge we pulled up 20 teeth! Between the 7 of us on the boat we pulled up over 100 teeth

"Meg Ledge" as in 30 miles out and 80-120 feet down?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

"Meg Ledge" as in 30 miles out and 80-120 feet down?

Yes we were 35 miles out 115 deep. There is a inner ledge that is closer to shore and more shallow

5 hours ago, Slaugbr1 said:

Yes we were 35 miles out 115 deep. There is a inner ledge that is closer to shore and more shallow

I have a good friend who traveled to North Carolina to take this trip... FANTASTIC Megs... said he went down to DEEP and had to decompress a couple of levels...

I thought that he was crazy   :doh!: but he definitely loved it...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I have a good friend who traveled to North Carolina to take this trip... FANTASTIC Megs... said he went down to DEEP and had to decompress a couple of levels...

I thought that he was crazy   :doh!: but he definitely loved it...

Uhhh yeah we have been diving for 7 years and have never pushed the limits quite like this. We didn’t have to deco on the way up but reallly got to watch the gauges or you could be in real trouble 4 people died on that ledge this year. Honestly me and my wife both agreed not to go again 

7 hours ago, Slaugbr1 said:

Uhhh yeah we have been diving for 7 years and have never pushed the limits quite like this. We didn’t have to deco on the way up but reallly got to watch the gauges or you could be in real trouble 4 people died on that ledge this year. Honestly me and my wife both agreed not to go again 

That's what I was thinking (about myself)... I have never gone down more than 50 feet, and likely never will. But I did pay $$$ to tandem jump out of a perfectly good small plane once.. I won't be doing that again either... I have always believed once in a while, I need to reach for the brass ring. Thanks for sharing a great trip with photos..

Life is not a spectator sport. If you're going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you're wasting your life. Jackie Robinson

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

That's what I was thinking (about myself)... I have never gone down more than 50 feet, and likely never will. But I did pay $$$ to tandem jump out of a perfectly good small plane once.. I won't be doing that again either... I have always believed once in a while, I need to reach for the brass ring. Thanks for sharing a great trip with photos..

The first time I went scuba diving in Florida (off Key Largo) my friends and I were amused that the dive master would not get in the water.  He said he never dove if the water temperature was below 85 degrees.  We were used to Ontario lake diving, where it's always close to freezing once you get below the thermocline.  My deepest ever dive was a "bounce dive" to 200 feet in West Hawk Lake, which is an old meteor crater.  A bounce dive is swimming straight down along a guide rope, touch the bottom, then head straight back.  We had two decompression stops on the way back.  I wouldn't do it again, didn't really see anything but rocks and mud at the bottom and that was only for 5 seconds.  Still, we routinely fooled around at up to 120 feet, but you had to pay close attention to the time to avoid decompression issues.  We had a small underwater station, made out of an oil tank with a hole in the bottom, a ledge to sit on welded to the inside, and a couple of windows put in.  We had that anchored at ~60-70 feet.  We ended up taking it out as it was quite dangerous, too easy to lose track of time and the air inside was usually too rich in CO2 so you could go hypoxic and not realize it.

I also have ~300 skydives and was for a while on a record for the largest POPS free-fall formation for Georgia.  POPS stands for "skydivers over phorty society" so the formation wasn't very large (12 people) as everyone on the jump had to be over 40 and belong to POPS.  Still it was great fun.  I'm a little (or a lot) too "portly" for such endeavors these days unfortunately.

I've thought about re-certifying for SCUBA and eventually making a trip to the ledge.  Maybe a retirement project.

Don

10 hours ago, Slaugbr1 said:

4 people died on that ledge this year.

During diving for fossils?

Franz Bernhard

Just now, FranzBernhard said:

During diving for fossils?

Franz Bernhard

Yes. The call it tooth fever apparently you get so into looking and “digging” for teeth that some people dont watch thier computers or air. Stay past limits or go deeper then they should with thier air. Which like i said earlier is very dangerous because your right at the max depth limit for recreational diving you are on a reel because visibility so only a couple feet.  Things can go bad quickly. Its all for the teeth no onw in thier right mind would dive in the conditions there just to dive.

7 minutes ago, Slaugbr1 said:

Yes.

Thanks for the explanation! How sad is this?! I am simply speechless.
Franz Bernhard

21 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Four seems like a lot, especially in one year.  Was there something unusual that happened?  

Don

Nothing in particular actually 2 happened within the same week. We had a charter through one dive shop and they called us 2 weeks before our vacation and apologized but said they were ending thier meg season early. So we had to scramble and find another shop. We were lucky enough to find one with a couple spots open. 

Lucky we got on this one because it was super lucky. On the way back i got the details from the crew. Since everyone dives in the same general area whenever a diver goes missing all the boats. Usually 8-10 will stop what they are doing and focus on recovery. 

The one that happend 2 weeks before we went down wasnt thier diver but they found him and took him into the coast guard. (2 1/2 hour boat ride) he had a bad full of teeth and no air. Anyways it all scared us pretty good into not going again. Not just that I underestimated how hard the diving was going to be.

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thanks for the explanation! How sad is this?! I am simply speechless.
Franz Bernhard

Don seems like , at some times in his life, he lived on the edge... I try not to judge , because I frequently prefer to go my own ways...

I did find these on the Internet:

The tallest mountain in the Alps has a long history of climbing and climbing accidents. ... During peak season, rescue services have been known to average 12 missions per weekend. And it has the highest fatality rate of any mountain in Europe, with estimates at 100 deaths per year.May 22, 2018

How many people die free diving?
Free diving is dangerous, and in some cases deadly sport. There are about 5,000 free divers around the world, and an estimated 100 die each year.Oct 17, 2002

While the fatality rate for wing-suit jumping is hard to calculate (the number of deaths are tracked, but not the number of jumps), a 2012 study of BASE jumpers reported that 72 percent of jumpers "had witnessed death or serious injury of other participants in the sport, 43 percent (of) jumpers had suffered a significant BASE jump injury, and 76 percent had at least one 'near miss' incident (an incident which would most probably result in serious injury or fatality but was avoided)," study author Dr. Omer Mei-Dan, a BASE jumper and sports medicine doctor wrote in his textbook, "Adventure and Extreme Sports Injuries."

Humans are indeed an odd species...

Amazing dentistry ya got there! :meg:

Makes you wonder what these shark's dentist ought to have done on a daily basis...(shudders) :P

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

18 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Don seems like , at some times in his life, he lived on the edge... I try not to judge , because I frequently prefer to go my own ways...

I did find these on the Internet:

Humans are indeed an odd species...

I forgot to mention motorcycle racing...  :D

Don

Archived