Another Fish Prep

Ptychodus04

Are y'all getting tired of GRF fish prep threads yet? Well, too bad here's another one. This Diplomystus is working its way through the rotation on the prep bench. I now have a tall bench with a standard desk height left hand return table for my prep area. The magnifying lens lamp can swivel between the 2. This allows me more flexibility to lean in over a larger piece to prep areas that are hard to reach on the higher bench. Also, this allows me more room to have multiple projects going at the same time. Next step is to build a stand for the blast cabinet on the right hand side of the bench to complete the "U" shape work area.

OK, back on topic. Here's how the fishy arrived

IMG_6296.thumb.jpg.c37d12f85ec57dc2744ee9b4a0694856.jpg

And here's the fish after 6 hours under the scribe.

IMG_6353.thumb.jpg.e14446b455d483d9eb2b0f1e2ed32626.jpg

It has some interesting taphonomy. The Caudal fin is folded over and many of the bones are displaced making for a rather interesting specimen of advanced decay!

Thanks for sharing this.  GRF is always a welcome sigil for great prep stories and pics.

Well Dang it!!!  Im sick and tired of all these dang GRF fish threads!!!  Just tired and sick of em I say!!!  Ok, maybe just one more.  :)      Ok, just kidding.  How can anyone in their right mind ever get tired of a fossil prep thread.  Gooooooooooooo  Kris goooooooooooooooooo!   

RB

19 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Are y'all getting tired of GRF fish prep threads yet? Well, too bad here's another one. This Diplomystus is working its way through the rotation on the prep bench. I now have a tall bench with a standard desk height left hand return table for my prep area. The magnifying lens lamp can swivel between the 2. This allows me more flexibility to lean in over a larger piece to prep areas that are hard to reach on the higher bench. Also, this allows me more room to have multiple projects going at the same time. Next step is to build a stand for the blast cabinet on the right hand side of the bench to complete the "U" shape work area.

OK, back on topic. Here's how the fishy arrived

IMG_6296.thumb.jpg.c37d12f85ec57dc2744ee9b4a0694856.jpg

And here's the fish after 6 hours under the scribe.

IMG_6353.thumb.jpg.e14446b455d483d9eb2b0f1e2ed32626.jpg

It has some interesting taphonomy. The Caudal fin is folded over and many of the bones are displaced making for a rather interesting specimen of advanced decay!

Looking good.  Doesn't have a lingering odor of that "advanced decay", does it?  With all these papers on 600 million year old biomarkers on fossils, and given the way fish stink sticks around, it could be possible! :faint:

Don

13 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Looking good.  Doesn't have a lingering odor of that "advanced decay", does it?  With all these papers on 600 million year old biomarkers on fossils, and given the way fish stink sticks around, it could be possible! :faint:

Don

I smells like advanced decay from a ‘64 Ford I used to own! I can smell the oil through my respirator.

3 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

smells like advanced decay from a ‘64 Ford I used to own! I can smell the oil through my respirator.

Yeah, and some layers more than others.  Have you ever used these rocks for your circle for a campfire?   I can guarantee that you dont cook food over this kind of fire.  Ha!  

RB

42 minutes ago, RJB said:

Yeah, and some layers more than others.  Have you ever used these rocks for your circle for a campfire?   I can guarantee that you dont cook food over this kind of fire.  Ha!  

RB

No, but if I ever get to join you up there to do some digging, I’ll remember that!

1 minute ago, Ptychodus04 said:

No, but if I ever get to join you up there to do some digging

I dont have many camping trips left man.  Make it soon.  Ive already got two more trips planned for next year.  Would be nice to throw in a fishin trip with you. 

RB

• 2 weeks later...

If this were mine, I would have had a heart attack with that folded tail, but if it is all there, then it will be really cool.  Looking forward to seeing this after the abrasive attack. 

RB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here’s the fishy after a total of 16 hours work. All that remains is to remove some tool marks. The fish really is a rotten mess but otherwise well preserved. While finishing up on the caudal fin, I discovered a bonus Knightia. @holdinghistory Has a very cool and unusual specimen here.

4804B4D5-ADAF-4149-AD5A-CECA51753E4A.thumb.jpeg.8a558998ae0e63c87e47dd566c40eaef.jpeg

What a great thread. I would not have thought so much fish was preserved here . Going by the early photos. Great work.

I always enjoy seeing how you unlock yet another moment in time, Kris. Keep 'em coming!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Amazing prep job, I realy like the folded tail, it makes it even more unique.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

That little fish is actually Mosquitous pesturi.  One can easily tell by the fly swatter being used.  Duh.  :)    NIce job Kris.

RB

2 hours ago, RJB said:

That little fish is actually Mosquitous pesturi.  One can easily tell by the fly swatter being used.  Duh.  :)    NIce job Kris.

That explains a lot. :P

Archived