Roadtrip from NC to GA

Wolf89

Hey! I might be going on a road trip, from the coast of NC to the Georgia mountains, in search of trilobites. Below is a pic of the fastest way to get there. I'm wondering if anyone could point out fossil spots around the where the Tennesee, Georgia and North Carolina border is as well as any along the rest of the route. Of course this route is not set in stone and I could move it around to accommodate fossil spots. Thanks, Tyler

a5c3262b64e82608ad13a4a741ddfed4.png

Unfortunately almost all of your planned trip, apart from the coastal plain in NC, is across scenic but unfossiliferous terrain.  The Blue Ridge Mountains are made up of metamorphic and some igneous rock, all without fossils.  Where is your planned destination in Georgia?  You might be getting close to the site of the famous Georgia trilobites.  That would be the one stop on the whole route where you could collect.  Also it's not a matter of moving things around a little bit.  You can see the light colored coastal plain far to the south of your route (for example below the "Georgia" in Georgia), and the ridges made of sedimentary rock in the Appalachians, for example around Knoxville.  All the green in between those areas is unfossiliferous metamorphic and igneous rock. 

Don 

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Unfortunately almost all of your planned trip, apart from the coastal plain in NC, is across scenic but unfossiliferous terrain.  The Blue Ridge Mountains are made up of metamorphic and some igneous rock, all without fossils.  Where is your planned destination in Georgia?  You might be getting close to the site of the famous Georgia trilobites.  That would be the one stop on the whole route where you could collect.  Also it's not a matter of moving things around a little bit.  You can see the light colored coastal plain far to the south of your route (for example below the "Georgia" in Georgia), and the ridges made of sedimentary rock in the Appalachians, for example around Knoxville.  All the green in between those areas is unfossiliferous metamorphic and igneous rock. 

Don 

My final destination would be the Conasauga river trilos

Do be careful as you pass through Chatsworth (GA).  Every fifth car on the road is a police car, and they love "out of towners".  Anything not on the narrow path with your car or driving character will see you pulled over.  Think speed trap.  It was the dealer border around my tag that got me.

I got nabbed in Texas for the same reason, because I had California plates. I wasn't speeding or breaking the law. I had my pick up loaded with my household belongings heading for Florida and they wanted to know just where I was going, being from out of state and all.

Excuse me for driving across your state, officer!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It could be a great opportunity to hunt for civil war relics if you have a metal detector. The area your going thru saw a major front line fighting for the south.  Just a thought as you explore.

Archived