Urgent ID help needed

Kraffkratt

Found these fossils from Estonia. All are set in limestone. Largest spine like formation is approx 30cm long and 6cm wide. Single is 17-20cm long. One next to large one about 10cm long Please help with I’d as we are looking to clean and polish them but would first need to know what type they are. Thank you all!

7CB50787-E13B-44C7-8BED-91CB7EA6CAE3.png

F46AA44B-D9BA-4163-8847-F6CF82BA6F31.jpeg

This is an orthocone from a cephalopod. ( like Orthoceras sp. )

you can clearly see the curved septas on the fossil.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

The one to the left is also a cephalopod which has it's siphuncle exposed, the tube down the center. The siphuncle is the buoyancy regulator in these creatures.  Nice finds.

post-2806-0-96430500-1375996410.jpg

Thank you ever so much for your help! So as I understand they are all from the same species?

the plan was to professionally cut them level and use under glass flooring but our fear was that the inside of them is not as impressive and won’t have any other pattern other than outline. Any thoughts on that? Thank you

If you polish them you should be able to see the septa and schambers of the shell and if cut exactly in the middle you should also be able to see the siphuncle.

But If I were you I would try it first on 1 specimen to see the results. every fossil has his own specific preservation, so the results could change from piece to piece.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

17 minutes ago, Kraffkratt said:

our fear was that the inside of them is not as impressive

Good thought! You can say what should be inside, but you can never say how it really looks like inside (eg. what color, bright or dark, good or poor contrast, recrystallization, vugs etc.). Best would be to cut a small scrap piece. But even then, you are far from sure how the big one look like...

If they look good outside and you have only a few, I would leave them as they are. If you have many of them, you could try to cut some that do not look good at the outside.

Google for orthoceras marokko - in this case these look all similar inside.

Franz Bernhard

Archived