My late Cretaceous lungfish from New Jersey

Anyways, this is really cool! That's definitely not 'C.' frazieri, and is almost certainly a new species. I don't think it's C. robustus either. Safely, this should be a new genus and species, but lungfish nomenclature is a total mess and a lot of things get called "Ceratodus" which should not be. A few features remind me a little of some animals from Europe as well as "C" kranzi from the east coast. Neat animal, though.

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to reading the eventual paper on it!

• I found this Informative 2

That is great. That is what makes this such a good hobby. You do not need a huge budget or large team to make a significant contribution.

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, jdp said:

Anyways, this is really cool! That's definitely not 'C.' frazieri, and is almost certainly a new species. I don't think it's C. robustus either. Safely, this should be a new genus and species, but lungfish nomenclature is a total mess and a lot of things get called "Ceratodus" which should not be. A few features remind me a little of some animals from Europe as well as "C" kranzi from the east coast. Neat animal, though.

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to reading the eventual paper on it!

Thanks! I'll certainly let you know when the study comes out on it, should be in a couple months.

-Frank

On 10/17/2018 at 4:37 PM, RJB said:

I dont mean to sound ignorant, but what about the rest of the fish?  Is it a soft bodied fish?  Is this the only part that fossilizes?  Still cool, dont want to take anything away. 

RB

I am not sure if your question is specific to NJ or in general but I know @Nimravis has recently found lungfish scales.

On 10/17/2018 at 3:37 PM, RJB said:

I dont mean to sound ignorant, but what about the rest of the fish?  Is it a soft bodied fish?  Is this the only part that fossilizes?  Still cool, dont want to take anything away. 

RB

Lungfishes have bone in the skull, jaws, pectoral girdle, ribs, and scales. Early lungfishes from the Devonian have a bit more bone in them. However, bones are not well-connected to each other and therefore identifiable lungfish skeletons are rare. Toothplates are really robust, however, and are very identifiable, so they are the most commonly identified lungfish fossils out there. However, skulls do exist....and they are weird! 

For instance, here is a modern African lungfish:

http://www.digimorph.org/specimens/Protopterus_dolloi/

Here is the late Paleozoic lungfish Sagenodus:

http://www.repository.naturalis.nl/document/571883

• I found this Informative 7

9 hours ago, jdp said:

Lungfishes have bone in the skull, jaws, pectoral girdle, ribs, and scales. Early lungfishes from the Devonian have a bit more bone in them. However, bones are not well-connected to each other and therefore identifiable lungfish skeletons are rare. Toothplates are really robust, however, and are very identifiable, so they are the most commonly identified lungfish fossils out there. However, skulls do exist....and they are weird! 

For instance, here is a modern African lungfish:

http://www.digimorph.org/specimens/Protopterus_dolloi/

Here is the late Paleozoic lungfish Sagenodus:

http://www.repository.naturalis.nl/document/571883

Their skulls kind of look like parts of turtle shell. That is weird.

Congratulations! I know I'm a little late but anyway..... :yay-smiley-1:

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - The study on this just came out in 'The Mosasaur' (link below) and we do believe this lungfish to be a new species. As stated in the article, we are looking for other specimens so if anything else is out there, please let us know! 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-kntyDpO_YbWhihO7Dne8jRmaKhqiFGV/view

I wanted to thank Tony @njfossilhunter, Barbara Grandstaff, and David Parris for making this a really fun project! If anyone thinks they have something of scientific importance, I would recommend donating it. It's a great experience!

Thanks again!

-Frank

@Carl @Jeffrey P @jdp @Trevor @non-remanié @Fossildude19 @Darktooth

• I found this Informative 8

50 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

UPDATE - The study on this just came out in 'The Mosasaur' (link below) and we do believe this lungfish to be a new species. As stated in the article, we are looking for other specimens so if anything else is out there, please let us know! 

I wanted to thank Tony @njfossilhunter, Barbara Grandstaff, and David Parris for making this a really fun project! If anyone thinks they have something of scientific importance, I would recommend donating it. It's a great experience!

Thanks again!

-Frank

Awesome, Frank! Well done!  :fistbump:

Congratulations!! 

Here's hoping they can have more specimens found and donated! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

23 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Thanks again!

-Frank

Excellent news!! :D This is great!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Big congratulations Frank. I'll have to read this article. This is a wonderful honor very few of us will ever achieve. 

Thanks everyone! :) 

7 hours ago, jdp said:

Glad to see this out. Do you know if it's going to be formally named at some point in the future?

I'm not quite sure, in all honesty. Right now, we are looking to see what else might be out there.