Need some help to identify.. ticking me off! lol

Steve D.

I've been sifting through a bucket of dirt I collected on my last dig in Cincinnati. I've come across these two pieces that has me scratching my head. Are they ammonites, snails, arms of a Isorophus?  Not the most glorious finds but two that I am having some trouble while cataloging. Thanks all! :):ammonite01:

Screenshot_20181017-101421 (2).png

They are both internal molds of snails (or maybe a monoplacophoran such as Cyrtolites for the one on the left).  They lack evidence of suture lines, the one on the right is coiled in a flattened turret shape (not planispiral), and the one on the left tapers too quickly, all features that exclude an ID as a nautiloid or ammonoid.  Perhaps you were joking about "arms of an Isorophus" but anyway these are never found as smooth internal molds, and your specimens lack the biserial calcitic plates of an edrioasteroid arm and are totally the wrong shape.

Don

17 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

They are both internal molds of snails (or maybe a monoplacophoran such as Cyrtolites for the one on the left).  They lack evidence of suture lines, the one on the right is coiled in a flattened turret shape (not planispiral), and the one on the left tapers too quickly, all features that exclude an ID as a nautiloid or ammonoid.  Perhaps you were joking about "arms of an Isorophus" but anyway these are never found as smooth internal molds, and your specimens lack the biserial calcitic plates of an edrioasteroid arm and are totally the wrong shape.

Don

I was joking about the arms of an Isorophus! ... I just like the way it sounds hahaha (hence the bold letters) Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it. 

:D Maybe we can make "arms of an Isorophus" a meme we can use for anything we can't identify!  I also like the way it sounds.  Could also be a name for a band.

Don

Clathospira sp., a gastropod

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived