no frog but what is the stone?..or fossil?

hndmarshall

bought this online the add claimed it was a fossil of a frog just the back legs and back...claimed they were wiped in phosphates?...more like wiped entirely off

but then I inspected the stone it was odd in itself...I even inspected it with a microscopic camera no frog..no trace of frog...so went looking for more on the stone and came up with this as a possibility?.......

Fossil fish Eodiaphyodus Granulosus mouth crusher plate?....did a search and that came up

000_0163.JPG

000_0164.JPG

000_0165.JPG

000_0166.JPG

I confirm you that's no frog, but maybe something geologic like oolitic limestone.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Pisolite rather than oolite (larger grain size), or maybe on the boundary between them.

EDIT: I think the OP is right and this is Eodiaphyodus mouth plate.

Tarquin

not Fossil fish Eodiaphyodus Granulosus mouth crusher plate?.

found these online look very similar and about the same size and shape.....could it be?

Extinct-Fish-From-Morocco-Eodiaphyodus-granulosus-_1 (1).jpg

Extinct-Fish-From-Morocco-Eodiaphyodus-granulosus-_1.jpg

f010a__28335.1529021699.900.900.jpg

oolites, cool though.

Not sure frogs can preserve in 3D?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

oh well cool looking stone not doing well with fossils but finding interesting rocks..lol...but sure does look like the above.

I don't know what is the question, but all the specimens above are Definitely Eodiaphyodus granulosus mouth plates, probably from the phosphatic beds of Morocco. I prepped one, which is in my collection. Third picture is the lower part of the plate. All of them are teeth, unfortunately the roots are very fragile. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

52 minutes ago, hndmarshall said:

not Fossil fish Eodiaphyodus Granulosus mouth crusher plate?.

Yes, you caught some of us out I think. :blush::D I've learned a new one!

Tarquin

seller says there is frogs on them at least the one I have and the other one he is selling not sure he has his facts straight as to what it actually is

As I said, the roots are fragile, extremely fragile (I could add). Here are quick shots of my specimen (upper and lower side):

plate in it's original state (partially in matrix)

ae599d.jpg.05b9c563c9a80a22eaeeb5eda026158d.jpg

after prep

IMG_20181017_223201.thumb.jpg.a2fe65b99948de38797d941399376fc8.jpgIMG_20181017_223215.thumb.jpg.43cdb81033db0f77b04f910a20b50bb3.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

26 minutes ago, hndmarshall said:

seller says there is frogs on them at least the one I have and the other one he is selling not sure he has his facts straight as to what it actually is

Sellers say lots of things. That does not make what they say true. ;) 

A seller says this is a fossil Flounder.  It's not. 

s-l1600 (2).jpg  s-l1600 (4).jpg  s-l1600 (5).jpg  s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600.jpg  s-l1600 (13).jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Sellers say lots of things. That does not make what they say true. ;) 

A seller says this is a fossil Flounder.  It's not. 

s-l1600 (2).jpg  s-l1600 (4).jpg  s-l1600 (5).jpg  s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600.jpg  s-l1600 (13).jpg

yea see a lot of that on online...lol...all sorts of interpretations 

To find the original designation of taxon, C. Arambourg.  1952. Las vertebres fossiles des gisements de phosphates (Maroc-Algerie-Tunisie). Notes et memoires 92: 1-478 might be on help. Here's an excerpt  from the document (check My Library). :)

5bc7a6a977af5_ArambourgaliiVertbrsfossilesdesgisementsdephosphate-pages-440-441_2.thumb.jpg.17df9a0900c9f8eb713b07853b91fe80.jpg5bc7a6b1ed4dd_ArambourgaliiVertbrsfossilesdesgisementsdephosphate-pages-440-441_1.thumb.jpg.12c5411ac847d5756137e72c3bf52636.jpg

BTW, you have a nice specimen! Congrats!  No frog. :D

Thomas Mann

My Library

@abyssunder to the rescue!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

(I guess it's possible the seller is incorrectly thinking they are frog eggs....) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@abyssunder to the rescue!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

(I guess it's possible the seller is incorrectly thinking they are frog eggs....) 

no he says there is a frog fossil on the stone ...I dont see it...even when using a microscopic camera...no frog

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Very good remark, JohnJ! :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

You still may have ended up with a cool fossil (though not a frog). Hopefully, this is a lesson to question seller's descriptions if they don't seem obvious from the images. Online sellers range from the very reputable that have been selling fossils for many years (decades) and have an ardent following to shifty fly-by-night sellers on auction forums who dig up rocks from their backyard and list them as whatever they slightly resemble.

If you plan on making any other online purchases, you might wish to run them by the forum first if it is something you are not very familiar with and are sure it is what is stated. We have a rule about simply posting auction links or photos that could identify sellers directly as we don't want the liability of sellers trying to bring legal action against the forum. Posting a photo of a possible fossil acquisition and asking our opinions as to the veracity of the claimed identification would be useful to you and informative to all who read the topic.

Cheers.

-Ken

4 hours ago, hndmarshall said:

no he says there is a frog fossil on the stone ...I dont see it...even when using a microscopic camera...no frog

Maybe a frog was sitting on it when the seller found it. ;)

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Archived