Nanotyrannus or T-Rex?

Captcrunch227

MORE PICTURES IN LOWER POSTS!

Howdy everyone! I picked up this tooth not long ago and am curious if it is either nanotyrannus or T-Rex? Tooth comes from the hell creek formation. It was sold to me as nanotyrannus but it seems somewhat bulky and thick at the bottom so I thought I'd ask. Tooth is roughly 1-3/8" long in a straight line. Thanks for the help everyone!

IMG_9794.JPG

IMG_9810.JPG

IMG_9806.JPG

IMG_9807.JPG

IMG_9808.JPG

IMG_9809.JPG

Edited by Captcrunch227

Better pictures or different angles of the tooth would be needed for a clear ID.

If I was to choose between the two I would say T. rex since it’s too fat to be a nano but better pics are needed.

regards

10 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Better pictures or different angles of the tooth would be needed for a clear ID.

If I was to choose between the two I would say T. rex since it’s too fat to be a nano but better pics are needed.

regards

Hope these help, it's only letting me upload 2 at a time

IMG_9800.JPG

IMG_9801.JPG

Hard to tell because the pictures are blurry and out of focus.  I think it is Nano because it is narrow and compressed in cross-section in the first picture.  

Hmmmm. I’m kind of changing my mind. The base doesn’t look as compressed as the first pics you posted. Really need a clear pic straight on of the root/base

Edit:  I got your post mixed up with another post, which is why I wrote I’m “changing my mind”.  But here’s my opinion anyway, lol

Here’s my large Nano tooth. It’s thick, but you can tell it’s Nano and not Rex because of the compression at the base

C9476DF0-8B8E-4D1D-A355-6BDF8E8C6F03.thumb.jpeg.8d6d071bb0c16b222f35cd2dc284c776.jpeg

E1ED2904-BA98-48B2-A776-ED4EAE8FE4C5.thumb.jpeg.e37a144d749c3441a0c1f1741c1be43b.jpeg

1B9FA15B-9C74-4562-B1FC-F43023A463B3.thumb.jpeg.ee10f12e99e5fa63ed68d8cdd257b74e.jpeg

Looking at the base of your tooth a little more, it does appear to have the constriction/compression. I’m still saying it’s Nano

13 minutes ago, mburkett said:

Looking at the base of your tooth a little more, it does appear to have the construction/compression. I’m still saying it’s Nano

This might be clearer. My phone is really old lol

IMG_9804.JPG

To me it looks more like a Trex tooth.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

It’s still hard to tell. The first pic you posted shows constriction on the left side of the tooth. Here’s one of my Rex teeth. You can see it doesn’t have this. I’m fairly sure your tooth is Nano. 

6914F86C-2615-4FE4-8D96-38D84A75A88A.thumb.jpeg.118493c5bf142a79237583b662c0ccfc.jpeg

3 hours ago, mburkett said:

WIt’s still hard to tell. The first pic you posted shows constriction on the left side of the tooth. Here’s one of my Rex teeth. You can see it doesn’t have this. I’m fairly sure your tooth is Nano. 

6914F86C-2615-4FE4-8D96-38D84A75A88A.thumb.jpeg.118493c5bf142a79237583b662c0ccfc.jpeg

Forgive my ignorance please.

I've had zero luck finding any information on the differences between the two, and it was not for lack of trying. Could you enlighten me please as to what I'm looking for? When you say constriction is it running the length of the tooth or just at the base? Thanks so much for your help!

No need to be sorry. @Troodon has a good post on the difference between the teeth of these two species on this site. I think it’s @Andy who has a HUGE Nano tooth where you can also see the indentations at the base.

I’m trying to upload pics of what I’m talking about, but evidently they’re larger than 3.95 MB, so I can’t. Basically, Nano teeth have a  )(  at the base, whereas Rex doesn’t.  Here’s a terrible drawing of what I’m trying to say. This is looking directly at the base of the tooth vertically.  It doesn’t run the length of the tooth.

51D62C91-14BB-4A9A-83E6-3ADB0EC60D84.thumb.png.42359e0102f3f82329bd8388b0c5b0ce.png

• I found this Informative 1

But again, there’s a debate on if Nano and Rex are the same species, with Nano being a juvenile Rex. I’m in the camp that they’re two different species. Hopefully Baby Bob and the Dueling Dinosaurs can answer the question once and for all

• I found this Informative 1

@mburkett thank you so much that was incredibly helpful. That is good to know. The base on this tooth has somewhat of a construction on one side (very slight though) and the other side doesn't appear to have that constriction, although on that side a good chunk of the outer enamel is missing at the base. 

What is getting me on this tooth though is how thick the base is. I expected the tooth to be more dromaeosaur like (similar to the cause of confusion at times with nano and dakotaraptor teeth). That's what caused me to post this, the bulbous shape and width at the bottom seemed out of character with what very very little I knew of nano teeth

It IS a relatively beefy tooth, but I’m pretty confident it’s Nano. Dakotaraptor is pretty easily distinguished from Nanotyrannus bc the former’s denticles are differently-sized anterior and posterior. The posterior serrations are bigger and this should be evident to the naked eye.

Identifying teeth definitely can be tricky. Locality is a must!

Glad I could help :)

I definitely appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I really appreciate it! 

Either way it's a win win. It's either my first nano tooth that I got a pretty good deal on, or it was a t-rex tooth that I absolutely stole haha