what are these?...are they coprolites?

hndmarshall

ok not quite sure what these are find one every now and then...they have an odd coating

dropped a couple in the acid bath for a few minutes and looked at them through a microscopic camera and found all sorts of little goodies...

so wondering could these be some type of poo??.....fossilized feces. Coprolites...??. ..fish? turtle? lizard?...??

000_0168.JPG

000_0169.JPG

000_0170.JPG

000_0171.JPG

Tue Oct 16 13-02-36.jpg

Tue Oct 16 13-03-03.jpg

Tue Oct 16 13-08-27.jpg

Tue Oct 16 13-03-59.jpg

Tue Oct 16 13-20-10.jpg

Tue Oct 16 13-48-14.jpg

Tue Oct 16 13-48-37.jpg

Tue Oct 16 19-11-16.jpg

I think you have exposed fossils, of what I do not know, by maceration of chunks of limestone. I think coprolites are usually phosphate based.

Look like chunks of flint stone to me, in our area you can get echinoderms and very rarely crustaceans in flint 

Progress of my fossil cleaning can be found on my Instagram feed

http://instagram.com/gbfossils

YouTube for fossil collecting and prep videos 

https://www.youtube.com/user/GBFossils

not sure ...the outer coating feels kinda silky but harder than it feels... takes a bit longer to dissolve if it even does 

once dipped and wet the color darkens considerably ....the one I cut open above was red and black inside

finding all sorts of things on them after soaked and still wet....why I thought they may be coprolites.

dont think they are flint plenty of that in the gravel piles and does limestone come in reddish and a dark grey?

tried the sticky test yes sticky but as to how sticky they are supposed to be i dont know dont have any real coprolite to compare to.

1 hour ago, hndmarshall said:

dropped a couple in the acid bath for a few minutes and looked at them through a microscopic camera and found all sorts of little goodies..

The little goodies weren't there before or you didn't look for them before ? :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

31 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

The little goodies weren't there before or you didn't look for them before ? :headscratch:

couldnt tell anything with that outer coating

9 hours ago, hndmarshall said:

couldnt tell anything with that outer coating

Okay. My mistake.

Sounds like the acid may have only washed away a weathered layer, instead of dissolving carbonate matrix as I thought.

1 hour ago, Carl said:

I don't see coprolites there. I agree that they look more like chunks of limestone.

Perhaps silty limestone ? The coating being like  clay matted on as the carbonate dissolved.

• I found this Informative 1