Yet another crab prep thread !!!

RJB

Yeah, I know, we are all sick and tired of these fossil crabs in concretions prep threads.   Too bad, as my buddy Kris says.  Here is a rather odd rock in the sense that the outer layer is not only really soft, but full of little tiny black particles? Not a clue what they are.  Ive never seen then before.   If there are any tippy tippy's going into this soft layer Im afraid they will be gone?   Also, see that little piece of leg on the back right side,  It is not in the right place or its trying to fly a kite.  Really high in the rock compaired to the carapace.    I cant tell if its leg #1 or 2, but this crab is already scarying me.  Right now this tells me that the 'rear end' is either not there or has problems?  Time will tell. 

FSC001A.JPG

FSC001B.JPG

22 minutes ago, LiamL said:

Lets see how long this guy takes you :)

It should take about 12 hours, but only if I dont run into too many problems.  If I do, I toss it aside.  If not, I can only do about 3 to 4 hours of prep nowadays and have to rest a day or two between prep sessions, so it could be a week or so? 

RB

We'll wait. I don't tire of these crab preps. I like seeing the progress in stages (no matter how long it takes you).

Cheers.

-Ken

Can't wait to see how that crab looks :popcorn:

Btw, have you ever tried prepping out all the matrix out of a crab concretion so that you've got a 3-d fossil crab loose from matrix?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

2 hours ago, RJB said:

It should take about 12 hours, but only if I dont run into too many problems.  If I do, I toss it aside.  If not, I can only do about 3 to 4 hours of prep nowadays and have to rest a day or two between prep sessions, so it could be a week or so? 

RB

By tossing aside, do you mean forever or for a later date?

10 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

Btw, have you ever tried prepping out all the matrix out of a crab concretion so that you've got a 3-d fossil crab loose from matrix?

No i have'nt. 

10 hours ago, Wolf89 said:

By tossing aside, do you mean forever or for a later date?

Sometimes for a later date, sometimes I sell them to help recoup my moneys. 

RB

17 hours ago, RJB said:

Here is a rather odd rock in the sense that the outer layer is not only really soft, but full of little tiny black particles? Not a clue what they are.  Ive never seen then before.   

Might be volcanic ash.

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

On 10/18/2018 at 7:40 AM, daves64 said:

Might be volcanic ash.

Only if it was in a layer.  this is all around  in the outer layer of the intire rock. 

RB

I had my middle son come over today to do some work that I cant do so decided to do some prep work while he was here.  It was a bit cold and put my gloves on and went to work.  made some mistakes that I was NOT too happy about but took a break and then went back to prep work.  Made a HUGE misake and called it quits!!!   Not sure if im losing it, but I can see that I need to be in my best rested condition in order to prep proffesionaly.  Anyways, in this first pic you can see how I went deep and found a 'rear' end.  I was very very happy about that.  So i went and prepped a couple hours more till I desroyed the left arm!!!  That's when i called it quits.  Just sucked!!!  But then my son helped me get my air abrasive area all cleaned up and ready to for some fish prep.  It may have been a disapointing day with the dang crab, but this sunday we may be doing some very hard rock fish prep?  

RB 

FSC001C.JPG

FSC001D.JPG

Rest up and take your time and you'll find your stride again. Even on an off day you can still prep circles around most of us following your adventures here on the forum.

Cheers.

-Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, this took awhile.  Getting ready for winter is quite the job nowadays but I finally got around to finishing up this beauty.  This crab came out better than I had anticipated.  Even got a couple of nice tippy tippy's!!  A b-grade, but a purty darn good b-grade. 

RB

DSCN1901.JPG

DSCN1902.JPG

DSCN1903.JPG

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Ok, this took awhile.  Getting ready for winter is quite the job nowadays but I finally got around to finishing up this beauty.  This crab came out better than I had anticipated.  Even got a couple of nice tippy tippy's!!  A b-grade, but a purty darn good b-grade. 

RB

DSCN1901.JPG

DSCN1902.JPG

DSCN1903.JPG

Now that's a pretty one! :envy:What did you use to give it that polish?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

That 'polish' is a coating of Glyptal watered down with acitone.   Had to apply several coats where the legs turn yellow towards the outside of the concretion.   Very very soft and wanted to just fall apart.  some of other legs also needed two or three coats.  Some places the glue just soaks in and dissapears.  and its good for any places where there tends to be flakyness.  Makes me feel better when I know the crab is in good shape and not going to come apart anywhere. 

RB

8 hours ago, ynot said:

You sure do make those crabs look gooood

it does take some time, but keeps me out of the bars now for over 20 years.  and thank you my frreind.

RB

2 hours ago, DLB said:

did you reconstruct the left shoulder of that crab either way that thing turned out real nice

Yeah, I had to rebuild that left shoulder a bit plus 4 other little spots, then a little bit of acrylic work. 

RB

Archived