skiman1016

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2018 at 12:36 PM, jpc said:

I have not worked in NY state much, but I think these fish chisels, as we call them, are too soft for some of the harder NY rocks.  

Adamantium, Vibranium and Mithril are too soft for some of the harder NY rocks. :hammer01:

• I found this Informative 1

43 minutes ago, Scylla said:

Adamantium, Vibranium and Mithril are too soft for some of the harder NY rocks. :hammer01:

Maybe you have to use an excavation technique once considered by California in the 60’s for excavating highways: nuclear warheads.

http://atomic-skies.blogspot.com/2014/02/project-carryall.html?m=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.com/the-u-s-once-considered-using-23-nuclear-bombs-to-blas-1638145994/amp

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the great (and entertaining) suggestions. I feel better about the general category of chisels to buy and will probably try out several of the different suggestions on this thread!

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2018 at 1:36 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

:fistbump: My personal favorite is O1. 

I’m glad I’m handy (mostly) and have most of the tools needed to make stuff. :D Speaking of making stuff, it’s finally a comfortable temp to start forging again!

Where are you purchasing 01 at? I've been using 1070-1080 from Admiral for stuff like this. With less carbon I haven't had to worry as much about brittleness and the cost is fairly low per foot.

9 hours ago, Kato said:

Where are you purchasing 01 at? I've been using 1070-1080 from Admiral for stuff like this. With less carbon I haven't had to worry as much about brittleness and the cost is fairly low per foot.

I get my O1 from onlinemetals.com. It’s not as cheap as 1080. After shipping it works out to $18 per foot for a single 3’ piece of 1/8 x 1 1/2” stock. It gets more economical the more you buy but I don’t use it enough to buy a bunch of it.

I just picked up a huge coil spring for $20 at an “antiques” shop. That’s typically 5160 steel.