Fingerprint Like Rock

Tyler Matters

I have a little rock, smaller than a marble. It looks like a fingerprint on a rock. Any ideas what it is? That's a marble for size comparison.

IMG_20181018_112522.jpg

IMG_20181018_112531.jpg

First off, try taking your pictures in daylight, or sunlight. Near a window should be good if it is raining.

Get your item on a solid background, black or white.

Try downloading a free Magnifier app. 

Do not try to hold the phone. Instead, try to place it on a wide book or on top of a mug or cup. 

Place the item underneath the phone, and use the magnifying app to take a picture. 

My phone camera is not good, but the magnifier app does a good job. 

trilomagnifier.jpg   trilocloseup2.jpg   trilocloseup.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

sponge?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Please try and use a ruler in your photos, objects are not the same all over the world, marbles come in different sizes.

Where was it found? This will point to how old it is.

As the photo is dark I am only guessing due to the shape it could be a nummulites.

Looking forward to more pics.

Never ask a starfish for directions

Prasapora bryozoan??? They occur frequently in North East Iowa where the Ordovician rock is exposed. Not sure where in Iowa this was found. Will help in ID if you can tell what county at least.

Marbles are pretty standard size, but here is one of the front and one of the back with a ruler. It's a little over a centimeter long.

IMG_20181019_104416.jpg

IMG_20181019_104819.jpg

I see you have difficulties using the back camera of your zte z837vl smartphone, especially in focusing the objects.

Here's an online manual for your phone, check page 108.

Hope this helps. :)

(According to the last pictures, it can be anything, even an echinoderm, like cystoid or other.)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived