Hey Everyone! My name is Hogan and I'm an Associate Producer at Rugged Productions. I'm currently doing research for a new show concept and I'm looking for the best and most unique fossil hunters / collectors / buyers / sellers! Please let me know if this reminds you of someone (or of yourself). Thank you! 

Check YouTube for Fossilhunterstvshow previews from the show and the latest 1 hour "Mammoth Special" produced by Don and April Brunning. You may have something to talk about of interest to you both. 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to Fossil Forum! :)

I'm half-English, half-Welsh, live in the land of fossils, Morocco (13 years) 

Always wear a shirt and tie when collecting and found my first fossil before I went to school. 

There are many other far more interesting folks here, though. 

Good luck with your project, sir! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Moved to General Fossil Discussion. ;) 

What type of show are you putting together?  :unsure: 

We have had people here in the past who tried to make a go of "Fossil" shows, but most of them were focusing on the monetary value of fossils, which is something we don't really endorse here. :( 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Here is a video of the best of Fossil Hunters by Brunning. He emphasizes the scientific and not the monitary values of fossils and paleontology. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lcrkvFDrk10

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Every fossil hunter is unique. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Some collectors enjoy low key solitude to escape the noise of modern life...not necessarily making for riveting footage.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

This. I often go hours without finding anything exciting. And my exciting and tv exciting are very different. If I set a goal to find “x” even if common, and I find it- I’m excited. 

I notice in your tags that you mention localities in Texas. Are you only looking for ideas from Texas even though your company is located in the Los Angeles area? I have ideas for California and Arizona if interested.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, ruggedproductions said:

I'm looking for the best and most unique fossil hunters / collectors / buyers / sellers!

Sounds like you're pitching a Scripted Reality Series? That would be cool if it leans more toward Cosmos than Sharknado...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Majority of the time fossil hunting is as exciting as watching paint dry or actually paranormal investigating. 

Is this a show for insomniacs?

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I notice in your tags that you mention localities in Texas. Are you only looking for ideas from Texas even though your company is located in the Los Angeles area? I have ideas for California and Arizona if interested.

That would be great! Texas is ideal, but anywhere in the US will work. Thank you for being helpful. 

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

Sounds like you're pitching a Scripted Reality Series? That would be cool if it leans more toward Cosmos than Sharknado...

We only focus on unscripted, documentary-style concepts...but Sharknado is a classic! 

28 minutes ago, ruggedproductions said:

We only focus on unscripted, documentary-style concepts...but Sharknado is a classic! 

Well now, that's sounding better (as viewed through our lens). Had a guy here once that was pitching a "MAD CASH FOR FOSSILS" thing that was just disgusting from our perspective. If awe of nature, science, and the treasure-hunt for both are what you're looking for, we're at least on the same wavelength.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, RyanNREMTP said:

Majority of the time fossil hunting is as exciting as watching paint dry or actually paranormal investigating. 

I find every second thrilling. Maybe it’s just where I hunt, but there’s always a few variables (tides, time, etc.) I am competing against, and always some good exercise whether it be a long walk or climbing over or under things. Then there’s the real fun part which is finding a cool fossil. Now, this is from the point of view of the fossil hunter. Watching someone do it for an extended period of time may be less exciting. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, ruggedproductions said:

That would be great! Texas is ideal, but anywhere in the US will work. Thank you for being helpful. 

Since the collecting of vertebrate fossils in Arizona and California (many other states too) on State and Federal land is restricted to credentialed professionals with permits you should look to commercial quarries, private lands and trips with institutions. I know the the Southwest Paleontological Society has led trips to collect Permian footprints and Jurassic/Cretaceous dinosaur fossils. 

You should also contact some institutions that have great collections of fossils and sometimes have trips that are open to the public such as the La Brea Tar Pits museum, UC Berkeley, the Fossil Discovery Center of Merced County. Also the Ernst Quarries in Bakersfield are very productive.

In Arizona contact fossil collector, Michael Fleeman, whose nonprofit group is planning on opening a world class natural history museum in the Phoenix. area. His petrified wood collection is stunning. http://lgffoundation.cfsites.org/custom.php?pageid=15362 

Here is the LGF Foundation Facebook page with hundreds of photos of their collection: link. 

Should have done this about 20 years ago.  I could have givin you one H E double tooth picks of a show!!!   I moslty just prep now, and like someone already said, "its like watching paint dry'.  I do wish you the best of luck though.

RB

On 10/18/2018 at 5:43 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Since the collecting of vertebrate fossils in Arizona and California (many other states too) on State and Federal land is restricted to credentialed professionals with permits you should look to commercial quarries, private lands and trips with institutions. I know the the Southwest Paleontological Society has led trips to collect Permian footprints and Jurassic/Cretaceous dinosaur fossils. 

You should also contact some institutions that have great collections of fossils and sometimes have trips that are open to the public such as the La Brea Tar Pits museum, UC Berkeley, the Fossil Discovery Center of Merced County. Also the Ernst Quarries in Bakersfield are very productive.

In Arizona contact fossil collector, Michael Fleeman, whose nonprofit group is planning on opening a world class natural history museum in the Phoenix. area. His petrified wood collection is stunning. http://lgffoundation.cfsites.org/custom.php?pageid=15362 

Here is the LGF Foundation Facebook page with hundreds of photos of their collection: link. 

Thanks so much! 

Archived