Giving my Heterodontus sp. tooth to a museum.

David in Japan

Hi guys,

few weeks ago I created the following topics to help me identify a tooth I found here in Japan. I am sorry, I won't be able to give you accurate information until I get green light but I will update this topics as soon as I can say more.

I get some help for everyone and @Anomotodon who pushed me in the right direction with his suggestion. After further searches, I contacted a Japanese professor who confirmed me it was an Heterodontus indet. tooth. I am particularly excited because it could be (according to paleodb.org) the oldest Heterodontus tooth found in Japan as right now the oldest one is an early Oligocene tooth from kita-kyushu, and one of the oldest in Asia (the oldest in also Cenomanian of age from Kazakhstan).

I am finger crossing everything I can in hope that further studies will confirm that.

The tooth has been donated to a Kumamoto museum.

• I found this Informative 10

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

3 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

Hi guys,

few weeks ago I created the following topics to help me identify a tooth I found here in Japan. I am sorry, I won't be able to give you accurate information until I get green light but I will update this topics as soon as I can say more.

I get some help for everyone and @Anomotodon who pushed me in the right direction with his suggestion. After further searches, I contacted a Japanese professor who confirmed me it was an Heterodontus indet. tooth. I am particularly excited because it could be (according to paleodb.org) the oldest Heterodontus tooth found in Japan as right now the oldest one is an early Oligocene tooth from kita-kyushu, and one of the oldest in Asia (the oldest in also Cenomanian of age from Kazakhstan).

I am finger crossing everything I can in hope that further studies will confirm that.

Congratulations David! Definitely an exciting accomplishment!

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Nice find! Sorry for bringing disappointment, but Heterodontus is known from much earlier, since Toarcian, and it is also known from Albian of Kazakhstan and Aptian of Russia. Also, paleodb is usually less accurate than scientific papers.

Check Herman, 1989 and Thies, 1989

• I found this Informative 3

The Tooth Fairy

42 minutes ago, Anomotodon said:

Nice find! Sorry for bringing disappointment, but Heterodontus is known from much earlier, since Toarcian, and it is also known from Albian of Kazakhstan and Aptian of Russia. Also, paleodb is usually less accurate than scientific papers.

Check Herman, 1989 and Thies, 1989

I believe you concerning Paleodb ( and everything you wrote), every specimens are registered there but when you say Heterodontus is known from Toarcian, you are speaking in general isn't it (not about Asia)?:o

If you are speaking about Asia, well I knew late Aptian- Cenomanian specimens were found in Central Asia but not as early as Toarcian.

Anyway, not disappointed at all as it will still help some people to understand those shark distribution and a I am still proud I have been able to find (thanks to your help) a tooth 70MY older than the previous tooth found in Japan. I would be a little bit disappointed if after study it would be found not to be an Heterodontus tooth:faint:

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, David in Japan said:

Hi guys,

David,

As soon as you get the green light, make sure to post it under the Partners in Paleontology Gallery, using the correct format. 

We'll get you your badge once that is done! ;) 

Good job, David. Well done.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

11 hours ago, David in Japan said:

...I am finger crossing everything I can in hope that further studies will confirm that...

:fingerscrossed:...this is awesome...Good luck, David!

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw this topic. I'm excited to see where this goes!:popcorn:

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Thank you all.

Some feedback of what happened at the museum.

The fossil has been donated to the Natural History Museum of Goshoura (御所浦白亜紀史料館)where it will be exhibit.

Pr. Hirose was very enthusiast about the fossil as even if it was broken in half, it wasn't weathered and in good condition.

I will be honest with you I went to the museum and donated the specimen for fame and money, I was expecting journalists from every corner of the Japan waiting for me, but instead I only get a thank you... :( 

On a more serious note, in fact as Anomotodon mentioned in his post, older heterodontus tooth have been discovered in Japan but aren't described yet.

I didn't helped science with my discovery but I helped at least an awesome museum by giving them a nice piece to show. And that is enough for me.:)

13 hours ago, David in Japan said:

Thank you all.

Some feedback of what happened at the museum.

The fossil has been donated to the Natural History Museum of Goshoura (御所浦白亜紀史料館)where it will be exhibit.

Pr. Hirose was very enthusiast about the fossil as even if it was broken in half, it wasn't weathered and in good condition.

I will be honest with you I went to the museum and donated the specimen for fame and money, I was expecting journalists from every corner of the Japan waiting for me, but instead I only get a thank you... :( 

On a more serious note, in fact as Anomotodon mentioned in his post, older heterodontus tooth have been discovered in Japan but aren't described yet.

I didn't helped science with my discovery but I helped at least an awesome museum by giving them a nice piece to show. And that is enough for me.:)

Indeed! :)

Bravo, sir! 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png