Megalodon Tooth Shape

HamptonsDoc

I just purchased a Megalodon tooth I saw for sale and wanted some opinions on it. The tooth was found near Savanna Georgia and measures just under 6” on the diagonal (sorry for not having the exact measurements, I’m on a business trip right now). I was told there is no restoration to it. This tooth stood out to me because of its shape. It seems more narrow compared to what I’m used to seeing. Is this a pathology or simply indicative of a certain position in the jaw or is this not a megalodon tooth? I’d appreciate any information anyone could give as this is not my area of expertise. 

D1FBF243-FB72-44C9-8745-16ECF8F8CA7D.thumb.jpeg.8105c093b111449533f4a1e57435170c.jpeg

That is indeed a meg. I think it appears narrow because of the position in the jaw. The wider teeth are usually right in the front of the mouth and get narrower the farther back they go.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hi HamptonsDoc it is a nice tooth and for your info in the first photo you are showing the lingual (inside) of the tooth and in the second and third photos its the labial (outside or front) of the tooth. The flat side is the outside of the teeth in almost all sharks. The tooth looks like it is a first or second lower anterior because of the shape. Lower teeth are narrow because they stick in the prey and hold it so the upper wider teeth can cut off a peace. Lower teeth are not as thin as the upper teeth and the uppers stay wide but get smaller as you go from the center of the jaw front to back and the same goes for the lower they stay narrow but also get smaller from the center of the jaw as you go to the back of it. In the Megalodons most folks think they had 13 uppers on each side of the jaw and 11 or 12 lower teeth on each side of the jaw because shark have an over bite. I hope this helps you. George

• I found this Informative 5