Fake Spinosaurus Tooth?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Can you post pictures of the other side?  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree. This looks like a real tooth. Spino teeth are common enough that it isn't profitable to fake small ones.

Hello! Welcome to TFF, and receive all the hugs here from Argentina!

I find it very cool when I see people interested in small teeth of Spinosaurus, because most collectors only think of big teeth that precisely by the greatest demand, are the biggest targets of counterfeiting. But it's not the case here, your tooth is dirty, covered with matrix, but it's definitely real and if you decide to clean the matrix, you might have a pleasant surprise...

If it didn't cost too much, it was an excellent purchase! :dinothumb:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Thanks! I saw you help a lot of people in this forum! On an other note, how would I clean the matrix, without damaging the tooth of course.

1 hour ago, Yasei said:

Thanks! I saw you help a lot of people in this forum! On an other note, how would I clean the matrix, without damaging the tooth of course.

You are welcome my friend Yasei!

There are dozens of ways to clean the matrix, that range from acid to the rotary drills. Probably you do not have much experience with complex techniques or that require a greater preparation, so I strongly recommend cleaning with the aid of dental curettes and so, slowly scraping gently removing the sand and other debris that make up the matrix:

image.png.cfad09e98cf85187e7ac7a49591d75d0.png

Cleaning with dental curette (scraping method): Before and after:

image.png.221b6eba510e53b15bc451ac73eeeccf.png

image.png.a1036e7fdd218b0a955a1c83495c4e2e.png

If you do not have a dental curette, you can also use some sewing needles and even sharp nails. It is very good and rewarding to prepare a fossil yourself. Good adventure! ;)

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

I think I like the earthy feeling of it, I could also buy an other without the matrix if I wanted to. Thanks for the help though! I'll probably use your matrix removal advise next time I go fossil hunting!

I see a tooth that would look awesome if prepped however there is always the possibility that not much more might lie under the matrix, with that being said the fossil is genuine the matrix is natural its come from a conglomerate layer and thats about all there is to tell.

Thanks Matt

Archived